Camcorder advice anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by h0e0h, Oct 4, 2004.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I am looking to buy a digital camcorder for some upcoming school projects that are going to be pretty indepth. Anyone have any suggestions? I need something that will still be good in a few years too. HELP?!?
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    price range??? how in-depth are you going?? i have a couple of choices for you depending on your price.
  3. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    Agree that we need more info, but I swear by all models of Canon, from the low to high end.
  4. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    using my parents' credit card rewards, I was able to get a Canon Optura 20 recently, and it's a real nice camcorder. I've always been impressed with Canon's DV offerings, so I would look through their lines. I've used ZR series, the first Optura, Optura 20, and the GL1, I've been impressed with them all. AND, editing on a Mac is one of the least stressful things ever, and with FCP, it's a whole lot of fun.
  5. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    i just bought a panasonic 3ccd pv-gs120 , it was like 700 in best buy but got it for 558 on buydig. it works greta for me so far and it has a leica dicomar lense .
  6. gwangung macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Cool. Heard a lot of good things about the consumer level panasonics; with the dvx100, they've made a real play for the camcorder market on the consumer and pro-sumer levels.
  7. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Canon Optura 20 - latest issue of MacWorld has a review of all the consumer-level cameras - Canon's get the highest ratings for the same price points as lesser brands.
  8. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    I have a Canon ZR70...I am fairly happy with it. It sucks in low light situations.

ESPNnet's camera is a sweet deal with 3ccd's.

give us your price range
  9. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Low Light Issues -

My 2 cents -

In my experience, I've always felt as if Sony is really the standard by which everything else is compared.

The biggest issue I've always had w/ "prosumer" camcorders (especially DV) is low-light performance. With all the new auto gain controls and "pushing" of the video, I find that most single-chip (usually 4k-7k resolution) cameras lack good low-light resolution and focusing. Sony really has an amazing take on it and readily out-performs Canons and JVCs. If you're doing much interior or low-light shooting, consider an HC40, which is a newer model with most of the bells and whistles (audio in, analog-to-digital) while still being under $600.

Also, check out the new JVC "Celebrity" series, which are a couple of hundred of dollars less and are supposedly the first real competitors to Sony's great low-light and focus performance.

The Panasonics, especially the ones with 24p capabilities (VX1000/3000) are amazing, if not pricey.

All of my experience with Canon has shown them to be a little flaky with focusing (especially manual focusing, even on SLRs, like the XL1) and grainy in low-light. Also, they're ergonomically funky, in my opinion.

The thing is, unlike a lot of technology that have "deals" or "sleeper hits", camcorders seem to really be about getting what you pay for. Sony's are most expensive (for prosumer levels), but really do perform fantastically.

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    i belive that sony has the best low-end cameras

canon is probably the best prosumer and high-end out there, but that panosonic 24fps is amazing!
  11. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    I have the Canon Optura 40 / MVX25i (Pal) and its been a performer.