Camel Toads?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aricher, Jun 22, 2006.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I know this is just childish but I found this article highly amusing and had to share:

[​IMG]

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

LOL!!

Just how does one "intake" these camel toads?

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm really surprised the newspaper was allowed to run a headline like that....especially in this age of retribution.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Reminds me of the Under Toad beach sketch... from SNL IIRC.

6. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

The World According to Garp also had the lead character waring his kids about "The UnderToad" in the ocean.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ohh that's right! I'd forgotten about that.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL! Special bong fitting? Lots of water? :)

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Jesus... lmfao. Thank God he didn't use the phrase "Ninja Boot."

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

...don't drink that bong water...

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh. I agree with Black&Tan; there's no way our local newspaper would run a column like that. :D

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I was wondering where this article was published, figuring that it must be a European or English newspaper, since they would have the cojones to print this. Imagine my surprise to find out that this came from the "Bible Belt" in the United States!! This is the analysis from Snopes.com...

Naturally, this item prompted a flurry of "Is this true?" queries from our readers. As with many such entries, there are multiple levels of "truth" to be considered:

1. Was this question-and-answer exchange published in a newspaper's advice column?

2. Did the question come from a submission received by the columnist (rather than being something she made up herself)?

3. Was the letter on the level, or did the submitter simply fabricate a narrative for humor's sake?

The answer to the first question is yes — this exchange appeared in the 15 June 2005 installment of "Ask Leslie," an advice column written by librarian Leslie Potter for the Hays Daily News in northwest Kansas.

The answer to the second question is also yes — as Ms. Potter told us:
    There were several staff members at the library's front desk the morning the "camel toads" letter arrived. When I opened and read it, I was thoroughly puzzled, as I had never heard of either camel toads or camel toes. But when I read it aloud to the staff, they practically started rolling on the floor. And their explanation is almost word-for-word what I used in my answer. I kept the original letter as a memento — and to show people who didn't believe it could be real!

As for the third question, we'll have to leave the answer as undetermined. Ms. Potter told us she had no reason to doubt the letter-writer's sincerity:
    I recognized the handwriting on the envelope as being from someone who writes in frequently, if anonymously — always legitimate questions, so I have no reason to suspect this particular question was a fraud.

Personally, we think the set-up is too perfect, the tone of the letter too amusingly tongue-in-cheek to be anything but a deliberate attempt at humor, but that's just our opinion. We're not about to let such small details get in the way of a good chuckle.

Unfortunately, the "camel toads" column was one of Leslie Potter's last, as she and her husband moved out of Kansas the month after it was published. We have the feeling this entry will expose at least one of her Hays Daily News efforts to a whole new audience, however.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Easily the funnisest thing I've read in a long time

Thank you

I needed that...!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

15. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Talk about performance anxiety...

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm sure I read this in print when it came out. I remember flipping open the newspaper and cracking up...but it seems like it's just an article for this Kansas newpaper. Mystery...

18. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020