Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
anyone have suggestions for the best shooting mode to use at an inside concert? people onstage always move around too much. i have a finepix A330. thankx

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
anyone have suggestions for the best shooting mode to use at an inside concert? people onstage always move around too much. i have a finepix A330. thankx
You're kidding? Right?

While I know some concerts (not many) allow photos to be taken, they tend to not allow cameras that can take movie clips.

Also for the ones that allow it, they very often do not allow flash.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Mr_Brightside_@ said:

if there's this "night" mode..use it...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
DarkNetworks said:
if there's this "night" mode..use it...

I would stay away from a "night" mode. They usually make pictures brighter by using longer exposures. Which means MORE blur. I would try a 'sports' mode. The picture will be very dim, but it will force the camera to use a shorter exposure, so less blur. Also if at all possible, do *NOT* zoom in. That will force the camera to use a smaller apeture (higher f stop number,) which also reduces the amount of light coming in. Short exposure plus small apeture means very little light coming in, which makes for a very dim, very muddy, picture. You can always zoom in and/or brighten the picture in iPhoto, Photoshop, etc.

Basically, unless you have a camera and lens made for such conditions, concerts are hard to photograph properly.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Bear said:
You're kidding? Right?

While I know some concerts (not many) allow photos to be taken, they tend to not allow cameras that can take movie clips.

Also for the ones that allow it, they very often do not allow flash.

There is the rub. At least for the MCI Center in the DC area, they allow "non-professional" cameras in the arena. That means those that don't have removable lenses.

Did do the Barry Manilow (sp?) concert last year. That being said, it did allow a suite mate to bring in her Canon Pro 1 in. And I took my S30 and did a few videos from the concert.

A very mixed bag at each arena and their rules....

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Chip NoVaMac said:
There is the rub. At least for the MCI Center in the DC area, they allow "non-professional" cameras in the arena. That means those that don't have removable lenses.

it's based on artist as far as i can tell. was allowed a camera to see andrea bocelli, was not allowed a camera to see aerosmith.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
ehurtley said:
I would stay away from a "night" mode. They usually make pictures brighter by using longer exposures. Which means MORE blur. I would try a 'sports' mode. The picture will be very dim, but it will force the camera to use a shorter exposure, so less blur. Also if at all possible, do *NOT* zoom in. That will force the camera to use a smaller apeture (higher f stop number,) which also reduces the amount of light coming in. Short exposure plus small apeture means very little light coming in, which makes for a very dim, very muddy, picture. You can always zoom in and/or brighten the picture in iPhoto, Photoshop, etc.

Basically, unless you have a camera and lens made for such conditions, concerts are hard to photograph properly.

well i dunno if camera's are allowed but if they're not, u might wanna avoid flash whatsoever n dats the reason i suggested night. i dunno mind's pretty well without flash at least to me its good but u can try out urs 1st...i dunno much about sports but i think it's more for movement objects etc so u might wanna try it as well...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
DarkNetworks said:
well i dunno if camera's are allowed but if they're not, u might wanna avoid flash whatsoever n dats the reason i suggested night. i dunno mind's pretty well without flash at least to me its good but u can try out urs 1st...i dunno much about sports but i think it's more for movement objects etc so u might wanna try it as well...

Oh, and any 'consumer' type camera will have a flash that only goes 15 feet, max. If you're taking pictures of anything farther away than, disable the flash. It's making your pictures DIMMER because the camera is assuming that the subject will be lit by the flash.

And as for disabling the flash so security doesn't get you? That's a laugh. I went to a NIN concert recently where ALL cameras were forbidden. Yet I was constantly seeing dozens of flashes, all over the arena. (When Trent came on stage, there were hundred simultaneously, and constantly, for about 15 seconds.) Even at the end, there were still plenty of flashes. Once you're in, security doesn't care any more, as long as you're not obtrusive about it.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
turn off the damn flash....

having recently worked at an 'out-door music venue'...

honestly- if you turn off the flash, turn off the lil 'red eye' light, & turn off the screen.... then security would never know.

check me if i'm wrong- your flash doesn't do anything past like 10 feet anyway...

the stage lights are bright enough... so you don't need a flash

the red-eye light thing is annoying & also won't impact your photo

& the screen is a dead give-away to security as to where you are located & that you are about to take a picture~!

all this aside-
technically some venue's have contracts w/ the artists saying 'no photos will be taken' - other don't- most of that though is from the artist saying they don't want pictures-

(same type of thing w/ audio recording)

however- in my experience w/ point & shoot camera's @ concerts..i cannot zoom in enough to get a good shot w/ it being horridly blurry

so... take all this as you will
sneaking camera's in socks usually works :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.