Camera Connection Kit Awesomeness!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by normwood, May 2, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to share......

Today we went to an Arboretum and took about 55 photos with our Nikon D80. While my wife drove the family truckster home I popped the SD card out of the D80 and into the Camera Connection Kit, uploaded the photos to my 3g iPad and e-mailed four of them to my parents and my wife's parents. Had responses back from both sets of parents before we completed the 70 mile trip home.

It's also awesome to be able to get instant gratification by being able to view the photos on that awesome screen so quickly.

Good Stuff!

Steve

2. macrumors member

I used mine to preview the images with the client at my last photo shoot. Though it does look a little funny with a CF card in a CF reader connected to the USB connector. But once the photos are in, who cares!

3. macrumors 6502

Good story. I have a friend coming in this week (NYC) to hang out and do some photography...we're going to be taking the iPads and Nikons (mine's a D80, his is a D40x) out on the city to do some day and night photos and it'll be great to have the kits handy to upload stuff to the iPads for quicker viewing when taking breaks.

Only on the third day of having my iPad 3G and REALLY love it. Incredible device that fits my lifestyle perfectly.

4. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Really looking forward to getting the Camera Connection Kit now with some of the comments made here so far.... :)

5. macrumors regular

I wish i could find the damn thing in the store!!! lol

6. macrumors 65816

scottness

Same here. They don't have them in stock--or didn't yesterday.

7. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

2-3 weeks according to the Apple Store online. :(

Makes one wonder about product forecasting at Apple for even the simple things for the iPad! :mad:

8. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I was not surprised to be told at two different Apple stores this weekend that, nope, no camera connection kits available. Hot item!!

9. macrumors 65816

scottness

Especially after we find out we can do more than just transfer photos.

10. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

I don't think it has to do w/ product forecasting as much as hardware testing. Apple probably did not want to send the kit to production until the iPad itself had been approved and they could test with a production iPad unit rather.

11. macrumors 65816

stagi

Finally got mine the other day, it is nice to store things while shooting on location but does have some limitations (for me I wish it would play video files you import and work with non powered CF readers).

I put a review up online here:

iPad Camera Connector Kit Review

12. macrumors 6502

It is indeed awesome! It handles my D700 NEF files and LX3 raw files. It also plays videos that were shot from the LX3.

13. macrumors regular

I ordered mine last week and got them yesterday even when the site said 2-3 weeks.

14. macrumors member

While using the Apple Camera Kit can you view pictures and videos from the SD card without importing the media files? In other words can you use it as an external hard drive, so to speak, to view media from? I emailed the folks at Zoomit and they indicated to me that their product could be used in that way. Importing the files is nice but it is even better if you don’t have to import them, instead view them right off the card.

Sorry one other question, when you add photos to your iPad from the Camera Kit, can the photos be deleted from the iPad itself or do you have to connect to iTunes to delete them?

http://www.zoommediaplus.com/

http://www.zoomitonline.com/faq.html

15. macrumors member

Ha…my work firewall stopped me from going to your website due to “inappropriate material”! I will have to check it out at home.

16. macrumors newbie

Yes you just delete them right on iPad. Did this the other day on a business trip. I pick up the camera kit at the Galleria Mall in Ft Lauderdale FL. I had my iPad & SD card with me at the Apple store. Downloaded photos to iPad, emailed some out then deleted the ones I did not send. System works great.

17. macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

How do you get the images off the iPad to a computer? More concerned about getting the raw files?

18. macrumors member

I've got two of them. I purchased one on-line and while I was waiting they showed up at the Apple Store. Make a long story short, I have two and will sell the extra for my cost of $31.03 (tax), Paypal costs and shipping. Otherwise it's going back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

19. macrumors newbie

When you import photos directly to the iPad using this camera connector, do you lose any photo quality? Does the iPad try to "optimize" the photos for the iPad?

20. macrumors newbie

May I purchase one?

21. macrumors 65816

Dammit Cubs

if you are in chicago. The woodfield store in schaumburg, Il has about 30 camera kits. I just forgot to pick one up. I was more amazing with the 100+ Apple Ipad cases they had.

22. macrumors member

Send me an email with your address and I'll get the shipping quote.

23. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You might be right there. But Apple may need to better plan on the approval stage and production of things like the connecter maybe. But that does not fly so well for the likes of the Apple iPad case though.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't believe so. It does when you email them from the iPad though.

Steve

25. macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't know you responded. Still available?