Camera Connection Kit review...uhh...what?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by HXGuy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2010/04/22/ipad-camera-connection-kit/

The first thing that struck me...you cannot sync photos from the iPad to your desktop that were uploaded to the desktop. So if you have your iPad on a trip with you and want to use it as a temporary storage place until you get back home to put the pictures on your desktop, its a no go, at least from Apple.

It looks like there is a program called iPhone Explorer that will let you get the pictures that way, but it's a shame that Apple didn't integrate this for a smooth transition.

Seems half assed...like it was rushed, hopefully they take care of it with a future firmware.

2. macrumors regular

Man apple was really ridiculous with iPad functionality. Hopefully they add alot down the road. If i didnt already invest around $150 in apps, i would not be in the market for a new ipad.

3. macrumors 65832

That's disappointing for sure. I was hoping to use the camera connection to move photos from my camera to the iPad and then when I got home from traveling then move them to my Mac.

4. macrumors member

Does the iPad compress photos at all? Is there any way to open your pictures in 3rd party editing apps?

5. macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

That's just inexcusable that you can't move pictures downloaded to the ipad to your desktop. Pass.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Apparently you can do with with the iPhone Explorer program for your desktop and it seems to work well from what Im reading. I just dont get why Apple wouldn't allow this from within their own apps.

7. macrumors regular

That's just weird -- I haven't used it in a while, but the camera connection kit for my old iPod allows me to import photos from the iPod into iPhoto. When I plug it in, iPhoto just treats it like a camera (the same way it treats my iPhone, which, of course, is a camera) and offers me the option to import photos.

8. macrumors 6502a

That's what I was wondering. I never expected the iPad to appear on the desktop as a mounted drive. But, is it possible to import from the iPad into something like iPhoto or Aperture? At the original quality?

I know the article discusses LightRoom, but that's a third-party application. Does the it work on Apple-developed photo programs?

9. macrumors 68020

The review sounds bogus. Transferring photos from iPad to PC or Mac is one of the stated features of iPad Camera Connector.

10. macrumors member

igetit

I wonder too... I always figured the reason why my iPhone allowed me to import pics directly into iPhoto was because the iPhone has a camera and my MBP will recognize the iPhone as a camera in iPhoto.

Maybe since the iPad does not have a camera is the reason why it can't be done that easily :confused:

11. macrumors 6502

This makes no sense. Why make a camera connection kit if you can't copy the photos from the card to the iPad?

On Apples site, it says

"iPad Camera Connection Kit
    The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW."

They MUST sync back to iPhoto, no?

12. macrumors 68020

Yeah, I just don't believe this. Save a photo from your e-mail, open up iPhoto, and your iPad will be in the list of Devices waiting for you to sync your photos back. Obviously this guy doesn't realize you can't sync photos from the device into iTunes. You need image capture or iPhoto I would guess.

13. macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

That makes more sense.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm...the guy must not be doing something right.

Here is what it says on Apple's site...

"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

15. macrumors 6502a

Either the review or Apple's description of the product are BS. Apple specifically states in its description that photo transfers from iPad to computer are possible.

I've highlighted the pertinent text in bold below:

"Overview

With the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it's incredibly easy to download photos from your digital camera to your iPad so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.

The kit includes two connectors, each with a different interface:

* The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included).
    * Use the SD Card Reader to import photos directly from your camera's SD card. Connect it to your iPad, then insert your digital camera's SD card into the slot.

After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library.

iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.
    What's in the Box

* Camera Connector
    * SD Card Reader

* Perfect accessories for Mom. Give Mom accessories for just about anything."

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

16. macrumors 6502

Maybe the reviewer was using a Windows machine? :confused:

EDIT: Or not, just saw the Mac app screenshot in the review.

17. macrumors member

Just use iPhoto it works for my iPod touch.

18. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the iPad appears in aperture or iPhoto as a import device and allows connection to any photos or saved images. The article is bunk. I've seen loads of reviews and articles lately that are full of inacurracies.

19. macrumors 68020

My only guess is that he mentions LR which I guess is Adobe Light Room and doesn't use the same camera drivers that Apple uses for Image Capture or iPhoto. He never once said he opened up iPhoto or Image Capture.

20. macrumors 6502

Doesn't it just store them on the iPad like photos are stored on the iPhone?

When I connect my iPhone to my comptuer it comes up as a storage device (just like attaching a camera or card reader), then I can copy my photos off.

You've never been able to sync photos from the iPhone to your computer using iTunes.

21. macrumors 6502

+1, Had the same idea. If this was true, this would have been an oversight of EPIC PROPORTIONS. Thanks @ poster #14 for clearing this up. I was fuming for a little while there as I have a camera connection kit arriving tomorrow as well - but no iPad to test this out for sure.

22. macrumors regular

My camera kit will be here tomorrow. I'll check the import process and report back.

23. macrumors 6502

Good deal...looking forward to your report.

24. macrumors 6502a

Bs. It works by connecting with iPhoto.

25. macrumors member

Ya This device would be completely worthless without this feature. From what I read i believe 100% that it WILL import photos from ipad to iphoto.