Camera connection via SD card ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by aerospace, Mar 29, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apples description is vague. It says you can load videos from your camera via the sd card, so does that mean I can put extra movies on the sd card and view it on the ipad? It auto adds them to itunes?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

"The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW. "

^^^from apple.com

Technically the ipad doesn't know that Avatar didnt come from my personal camera so it should work...?

3. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    You might be on to something in that matter. I just wonder if it will force you to import the movie into the Photos.app? Or if it would allow you to play the movies from the SD card? I guess we'll know for sure once the camera connection kit ships.

4. macrumors 6502a

Somehow I doubt that. They mention videos in the first part yes, but then in the bottom they don't mention anything else except JPEG and RAW. I think that was probably a mistake on Apple's part as I can't see them supporting the various video codecs on different cameras. Even if they did there would probably be a file size limitation on it or some other restriction. I doubt they would open up a loophole that large to just use the SD card as movie storage for iTunes.

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple added MJPEG support to the iPad (in avi format - NOTE - This doesn't mean it will play ALL avi files) to allow for uploading videos from digital still cameras.

I don't know whether transfer of any video would be possible but we'll find out I suppose.

PS, thanks again to all you folks in the USA for being beta testers for these new products. I'll be getting mine in a month or so when all the kinks are worked out.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol cant remember the last real book I read but the ibookstore is so convenient I may have to make myself a budget to not go overboard

7. macrumors regular

This has come up a few times before and it still looks like no one is any closer to a definitive answer. I would also like to see if you could just plug a flash drive or a portable hard drive into the usb adapter and be able to access files like that! Hmm guess we won't know for sure until late April

8. macrumors 601

macduke

I pray for this every night! Lol. It would make it easier to move files around. Hopefully it will have a more robust finder in 4.0. I remember reading some rumor on MR a month or so ago that said something about the next iPhone OS being more full featured like a real computer and that Apple was really excited about it?

9. macrumors regular

Why not put an SD slot on the iPad?

10. macrumors 6502

The Mad Hatter

Maybe, because not everyone uses SD cards. All my digital cameras use CF (and I like it that way.) ;)