Camera icon won't show on desktop or HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silversalmon, Jan 26, 2007.

1. silversalmon macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the iMac 24 and have been able to download photos from my Kodak Easyshare DX7630 camera using Iphoto. However, no drive icon for the camera shows on the desktop or hard drive directory. I checked the Finder Preferences and everything is checked as it should be there. I downloaded the Kodak Easyshare software with drivers and still no change. I would like to select photos directly from the camera and copy to a folder like I did when using Windows XP with my old PC. Any suggestions for fixing this problem are appreciated.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not all cameras can be mounted as a hard drive.

try using Image Capture instead of iPhoto, i think it lets you chose which photos... but i could be wrong, i haven't used it in a while

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It certainly does. There are about 3 ways that a camera can present itself to the OS. Unless it presents itself as a HID device (basically like a USB harddrive) it will not appear as a drive in OSX. The Windows drivers may have had additional functionality to make it mount as a drive...

4. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions - I did try using the Image Capture and was able to find the camera. However, I was assured by the Apple rep when I bought the computer that the camera would show on the desktop and in the HD directory just like in Windows XP and that the old compatability problems were fixed. I would like to be able to have the computer operate as advertised - I'd hate to believe that Apple is selling defective computers that can't even show an external drive in the directory -are we talking inferior to Windows XP? Any suggestions for actually fixing this problem are appreciated!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That camera will never mount to the desktop. The closest thing is reading a memory card.

Use Image Capture instead. You can make it the default action when you plug in a camera.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not Apple's fault, its Kodak's. talk to them about making their camera assign itself as an external drive under OS X.
    the reason it doesn't show up as one is because its not telling OS X its an external drive. your computer isn't defective at all.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The rep could've been wrong. As other posters have pointed out, not all cameras appear as mass-storage on the desktop. Just use Image Capture to select individual photos, or iPhoto to import all at once. There's no actual problem with using the device, so... no reason to get bent out of shape. :rolleyes:

8. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise - I may try giving Kodak a call to see if there are any solutions they can suggest, sorry if I seem irritated - I've just had a couple issues where the Imac isn't working quite as expected after being assured by the Apple rep that the computer would work just the same as the old PC. One other problem I'm dealing with is the viewing of videos using Safari. I've found with Firefox that the videos (wmv and mpeg) downloaded off of websites open in the actual, metallic framed Quicktime player. Strangely, when doing the same thing using Safari, I get a white page with the vidoe playing in a box in the middle of the screen with the grey outlines of the control buttons. I would expect the Apple product to work as good or better than Firefox - any ideas on how to correct that? Thanks!

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Um, it's just different. An iMac won't work exactly the same as a Windows PC because it's an iMac running OS X. Some things are just different. Doesn't mean one's better than the other (especially if they're functionally equivalent), just different. Part of going from Windows to OS X is being willing to accept those differences and learn to adapt.

Also, I wouldn't call one or the other better in terms of your Firefox vs Safari situation, just (again) different. I, for one, prefer movies embedded in the browser since I don't want a separate app open for no reason.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

a memory card reader could come in handy.

I assume you don't like the fact that Safari will open in the same window/tabs, so you have two options.
    1) Delete the webkit plugin for Quicktime (not recommended as it can break Dashboard widgets)
    2) Open movie links in a new tab or window in safari - can be done with a Command+Click or Ctrl+click and select new window/tab. I don't know if middle clicks work in Safari. Learn more about Safari tabs

11. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions. I just got off the phone with the Kodak tech support. Turns out it definitely is Kodak's fault - not Apple's (yeah!). The Kodak Easyshare software currently does not include the driver needed to make itself known as an external driver on the desktop or in the HD directory. They are just using the default Apple driver, which doesn't work. Kodak told me they are going to refer this case to the people that update the software and they will e-mail me when this get corrected in future updates on the software. In the meantime, I'll use the Image Capture - that'll do the job.

Regarding the video viewing in Safari - I really don't mind viewing videos in the web browser - I would just be happier if the various controls, menus, etc. were displayed in a way similar to the Quicktime player you get when you click on the icon in the dock. Right now, looks kind of lame with the video playing in just a big white blank page.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know you can tell Quicktime to open in an external player instead of in the browser.

I just can't find where right now.

13. silversalmon thread starter macrumors newbie

If you have a chance to figure out how to do that, I'd appreciate your instructions - thanks again!