Camera of iPhone can get damaged by laser?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kenny1999, Nov 11, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Some people say camera of iPhone can get damaged by laser source.

I'd like to know if unluckily the camera gets damaged in this case, will it be damaged 'completely' (obviously the camera function cannot be used) or will it be damaged 'partially' such that the user might not know but the quality of photo deteriorate in some ways

Thank you for advice.

2. macrumors 68020

Why is this a question? What situation would this be an issue?

3. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Yes it can as well as strong sunlight. It burns the sensor out!

4. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

thank you for giving me my early morning laugh

5. thread starter macrumors member

the quality of the photo can deteriorate although the camera might still function.

6. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

But when or why would you shine a laser into the camera?

7. macrumors 603

blueroom

Plenty of lasers destroying camera sensors on YouTube.

8. thread starter macrumors member

of course I won't do this stupid act intentionally. However, there might be some laser sources around the places I am going. Just wish to know if it would damage the lens 'partially' then I would avoid using the phone there.

----------

I am not intentionally destroying the laser it is non sense. My phone is new and not refurbished one.

9. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm assuming these may be some type of IR laser? In which case I have no idea. I believe they say to avoid exposure to the eye with those as well. Basically I have no idea and I'm still very confused where a laser hazard would be a problem for your camera, but I don't think I want to know.

10. macrumors regular

I use targeting helium neon visible lasers in my radio frequency anechoic chamber. After a decade of use I was upgrading the Philips CCTV cameras and noticed that the screw-in glass lenses were heavily scarred and darkened by the occasional but cumulative hours of laser activity, this wasn't direct but reflected laser light!. I went and had my eyes checked! The iPhone 5 camera sapphire lens probably could get damaged/ occluded by interstitial darkening - you'd notice some fogging but probably the flip-chip sensor would go first.
    Treat laser sources with respect.:cool: don't go near any visible laser over 30mW, and just avoid IR lasers period - with or without an iPhone 5.

11. macrumors newbie

yes

so can water, dynamite, drops from over 20ft, getting run over by a car.... seriously????

12. macrumors member

FMJPhoto.com

What kinds of places are you going where lasers are so prevalent as to be a concern?

13. macrumors regular

He works for Dr. Evil on the "Laser".

[​IMG]

----------

I work in an area where there is a chance that my phone could get smashed by a hammer. Could this damage the phone? Or could it be damaged in some undetectable way that doesn't negatively effect performance?

14. macrumors member

FMJPhoto.com

lol Winner

15. macrumors 68000

Shine a laser in your eye, and you get the same results.

16. macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I know someone who works as a bowling center mechanic...is his iPhone 5 at risk if it gets between two moving bowling balls ? I'm worried for him.......

17. macrumors regular

Sheesh. This ranks right up there with that guy who thought he had a bent IPhone.

18. macrumors 68020

Yes but my point is why is this an issue? Are you pointing lazers at your phones camera?

19. thread starter macrumors member

Hello

Let me be a little more specific for my case.

1. I usually go to bar and night places where there are lots of lights shining around, are they laser? And one thing is - I usually see some strong red light there, they seems like to be coming from the High-Fi equipment. I often go to these places so I wish to know if they are laser or if the laser there strong enough to kill the camera, then I will avoid taking photos in those places if that's the case.

2. Everyone please understand that I am not asking stupid questions. You might misunderstand me because I am not speaking English as my first language. Please forgive.

20. macrumors 65816

aliensporebomb

Ah!

Not only do I recommend keeping your apple products away from lasers but also from hydrostatic ram accelerator turbines. Just a warning.