Camera Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cherfizzle, Nov 19, 2006.

1. cherfizzle macrumors regular

Im thinking about getting a canon powershot S3 IS

any suggestions besides that within its price range??

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Kind of a broad question. What type of camera are you looking for? For what kind of situations? Do you already have a bunch of memory cards in a certain format?

That being said, I am a big fan of Canon cameras, and the S3 looks like a nice model for something between a compact P&S and a full SLR. But if I were spending that much money, I might look at an SLR (Canon Rebel XT) since it is a system that will let you grow more.

3. cherfizzle thread starter macrumors regular

how much is the rebel XT? isnt it like double the price of the s3?

im just looking for a really nice camera that will last, and shoots amazing pictures, in the SLR form, and hopefully ne that shoots RAW

4. MT37 macrumors regular

MT37

The Rebel at B&H Photo is $649.95.

I just got one, and I love it.

5. cherfizzle thread starter macrumors regular

nice

i think ill stick with getting the s3 IS, i looked at the feature list, and how you can swap colors i thin is amazing for the thing i would like to do with my photos.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

People will always point you to an SLR but if you need something that will fit inside a pocket the SLR absolutely will not work for you. I like the Canon's except for one thing, Canon has removed the ability to save images in RAW format from their entire line of small P&S camera. This pretty much eliminates all Canon brand P&S camera for me. May RAW format is a feature you don't need? but it's usfull if you do much post processing

7. cherfizzle thread starter macrumors regular

this camera, (S3 IS) would be perfect if it could produce RAW. is what im saying

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I think it comes down to what you want the camera for. If you are looking for a good quality camera that takes good quality snapshots, then a compact camera will suit your needs. But if you intend to become serious about photography, you will regret not having bought an SLR.

9. macfevorite macrumors member

macfevorite

I just got mine!

:D
    Got my S3 from Amazon.com a couple days ago....love it!!!:D