Camera Res Print out sizes?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Feb 9, 2003.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

i have a 4.1 MP Sony camera (DSC-85) and it shoots upto 2272x1704.

My question is with iphoto 2 one click order prints tab, what's the largest size that my images will maintain photo quality. i'm pretty sure 8x10s would still look pretty good. but what about 16x20? is that stretching it a bit?

Tyler

2. Lz0 macrumors regular

6x10 easy but your right 16x20 might be pushing it a bit.

There is only one way to find out, give it a try, they may turn out ok, I've printed 640x480 images at 6x9 that passed with flying colors.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Up to 8x10/8x12 should be no problem for a 4 megapixel camera.

Up to 16x20 might look good, it depends on the quality of the picture.

Form a 6.1 megapixel camera, I get 12*18's no problem and have had a couple enlarged to 20 by 30 and they look fantastic. But I know some of the pictures I've taken won't look good at that large a size. The camera is 3002 by 2000 pixels (3:2 aspect ratio)

All I can say is do a sample print or 2 at the larger sizes and see how they come out. I am lucky to have a lab near me that does assorted sizes up to 12 by 18 for $3 (US) or less. If you have such an option, do the largest size your local lab offers and see how it comes out before springing for a larger print from the more expensive service.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As a rule, I look at 150 dpi as the cutoff point for good quality prints. In this case it would be 15.15"x11.36".

But depending on the printer and image, you could go with 120 dpi - althought, some pixelization might be seen. That's why the image is important, no text or really sharp edges, buildings, etc. Which would get you to 18.9"x14.2.

D

5. Bear macrumors G3

That is a very good rule of thumb when using a printer on your computer.

You can usually get away with a bit more when you have a normal (optical) photoenlargement made. But like I said earlier, it does depend on the picture quality as well.

6. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i wouldn't print at home. home inkjets drive me crazy. so much money and a hassle to keep refilling the ink. My local price club prints 4x6s for 19 cents and 8x10s for $1.99 but I guess i'll have to experiment on my own. thanks for the input guys.

Tyler