Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Hey guys, having issues with my camera and cant seem to get it to open up.

I have Cycorder and it will only show a black window. The stock camera app just shows a closed shutter.

I cant seem to figure this out. I was having problems with the pictures not saving to my camera roll.

Anyone shed some light?

i was checking out clearcam and it sometimes opens the camera...however, if i open the stock camera app, it doesnt open the shutter.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
hmm it opened today and was able to snap off a pic, but now its still not opening...

Anyone know whats up?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
Have you tried resetting the phone? By pushing and holding the Sleep/Wake and the Home buttons? If that didn't work, have you tried a restore?

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Have you tried resetting the phone? By pushing and holding the Sleep/Wake and the Home buttons? If that didn't work, have you tried a restore?

giving that a try right now, im kinda trying to steer clear of a hard restore cause im going to just have to do it again when JB comes out for 3.1

Im still within my warranty, think its better to just get another phone? Im trying to think if its hardware or software.

EDIT---soft reset didnt work, its still showing the shutter closed....i can browse my camera roll so i know the screen works and you can see the camera on the button switch to horizontal mode when i lay it on its side.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
giving that a try right now, im kinda trying to steer clear of a hard restore cause im going to just have to do it again when JB comes out for 3.1

Im still within my warranty, think its better to just get another phone? Im trying to think if its hardware or software.

You don't want to do a restore, but you are wondering if you should get a new phone? I would do the restore before swapping out the phone.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
You don't want to do a restore, but you are wondering if you should get a new phone? I would do the restore before swapping out the phone.

yes, cause if im going to restore and it doesnt work, im going to have to setup a new phone anyway, plus on top of that, obviously going to JB when redsn0w can do it. So that will be a third setup to do. Im trying to minimize the amounts of re-setups i have to do, cause it does take a while.

Also, if i restore the phone as new, will i lose my setup in iTunes? like my sync apps, contacts, etc etc. Or will it just stay there and let me re-sync on a fresh restore?

Really appreciate the reply...thanks

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
well, the camera opened for a min and closed up again....

basically im trying to determine if its hardware or software related....this has happened before to me in the past....but it stopped after a while, now its back up again.'

also, if i do a restore, im going to have to rejailbreak it right?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
yes, cause if im going to restore and it doesnt work, im going to have to setup a new phone anyway, plus on top of that, obviously going to JB when redsn0w can do it. So that will be a third setup to do. Im trying to minimize the amounts of re-setups i have to do, cause it does take a while.

Also, if i restore the phone as new, will i lose my setup in iTunes? like my sync apps, contacts, etc etc. Or will it just stay there and let me re-sync on a fresh restore?

Really appreciate the reply...thanks

If you restore as new then yes, it will be just like a new phone where you have to setup everything from scratch... unfortunately.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
so could this be a hardware issue you think?

dont have much time on my warranty which is why i ask...

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
If you restore as new then yes, it will be just like a new phone where you have to setup everything from scratch... unfortunately.

i guess there is no way to restore and keep my jailbreak? just checking before i take the plunge and have to spend the next few hours getting all my info back.

Also, since there is only 3.1 out right now, will it restore to 3.1 or will it restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1....i have 3.0 installed now...

Anyway for it to install the 3.0.1 instead of the 3.1 which is the only option in itunes atm.

again, really appreciate the help...

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
im downloading 3.0.1 ....is it possible to just shift click restore and use that file to wipe it clean and do a fresh install of 3.0.1?

would it be better to wipe my phone clean in (general/restore) before doing the 3.0.1 update?

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
thanks, i shift clicked restore and chose the 3.0.1 firmware. Its doing its thing now...

ill let you know how it goes....im hoping this will fix it...but dunno what would break it in the first place, you know?

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
well, looks like its to the apple store....dam, they had to make a appointment...

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Oh well, you needed to restore it anyway to take it in so... good luck to you..

ya...i called the Apple store and spoke to the guy there...told me that he has seen this ALOT with the 3G...seems to be a loose camera inside the phone itself. He confirms its N O T a software, but hardware issues.

Now...since my phone is hardware dead...you think they going to replace it or try to fix it?

i might just check out 3.1 since i can JB it anyway....but if they dont replace it i dont want to get stuck with 3.1

Thanks alot for all the help man....really appreciate it..

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
You do what you want man! :)

I don't know if they will fix it or replace it. It doesn't seem like something I would want to mess with to fix. Screens and batteries are doable because of their size. I would get on the horn to the store and ask. What they would do. If they replace the phone I doubt it will have 3.1 on it...

ujjwalgandhi

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
I had the same problem.Since my iPhone was out of the warranty period , I tried fixing it myself.
I opened my iPhone , and what I found was a loose connection between the camera and the motherboard.I removed all the screws , removed the motherboard and the camera,reconnected them back again and there it was , my camera was working.
Please take care of all the screws while opening the iPhone, as I lost one of the screws while opening it.

yngch

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Solved!!!!!!!

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFt0b-CfVrQ

You just have to press the part where the camera is. They say that camera lens loosened out from its mother board. Just have to press with your 2 finger like sandwich and the camera will return to its position.:):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.