Camera suddenly won't mount

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Echo48, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Echo48 macrumors newbie

Before today, my Nikon Coolpix 3200 never had a problem mounting in the Finder and in iPhoto when I connected it to USB port. Now, however, it will no longer mount. The problem started this afternoon after I had successfully imported pictures to iPhoto. The camera then suddenly dismounted on its own--I think maybe the batteries ran out and the camera turned itself off (?). A warning note came on the screen saying that the device had not been properly unmounted and some data may have been lost or damage may have occurred (something to that effect). I put new batteries in the camera and reconnected but it wouldn't remount. I restarted the computer both with the camera on and connected and with it disconnected. Still no mounting. Tried the other USB port. Still no mounting. System profiler shows it connected, however.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Perhaps try to mount the camera using a different memory card, perhaps the batteries running out + the unclean unmount caused some harm to the card? Just a thought.

3. Echo48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much; your thought appears to be right on. I took out the memory card and connected the camera without any memory card added, just what came with it. The camera mounted just fine. I dismounted it and put the memory card back in. This time it wouldn't mount. Looks like that is the problem.

Does this mean that this memory card is now worthless? Memory cards aren't cheap but I guess better this be worthless than the camera.

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Can you perhaps try formatting the card through the camera? You'll lose any shots you have on the card, but hopefully it will reinitialize the card making it usable/mountable again.

5. Echo48 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I reformat the card?

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Hmm sorry but I don't know exactly how for your specific camera. Like for my Nikon D50, I go into the main menu > Wrench Icon Tool thingy > Format > Format?: Yes. But every camera is different, perhaps it tells you how in your manual?

EDIT: Ok according to DCRP Review your Nikon Coolpix 3200 > There is also a setup menu, which is accessed via the mode wheel. Then choose Format memory/card > then format the card.

7. Echo48 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a genuis! Thank you so much for all your help. I reformatted card and now the camera mounts with the memory card. It did erase the card but I'd already downloaded all photos before the malfunction started. All is well. Thank you again so much.

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag