Camera's And Wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer446, May 5, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Lately, a lot more cameras are including wifi. What is the advantage of this? If im on a trip, and am in a hotspot, will i be able to email a picture to my friends and family? That would be amazing!
  2. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2006
    Just a guess...but would it be to connect with your computer or compatible printer wirelessly?
  3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    but would it be able to connect to my computers back at home? Im going to be away for a while so if possible i would want to send my family some pictures..
  4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Additionally, to wirelessly transfer the pictures to the computer, does the computer have to be on the same network?
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i haven't seen any cameras that have wireless built into them myself, could you give us some links so we can investigate some models further?
  6. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Yeah, a lot of surveillance cameras have wifi so they can send the video feed to your network...but I haven't seen any consumer "take a picture" cameras that have wifi...
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    indeed i know about the surveilance cameras.... we have them setup here where i work of our stores... but i don't know of any Point and Shoot or even higher end cameras that have WiFi built in...
  8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Sep 23, 2005
    The 6ix
    There is an excellent MacWorld article about two wireless cameras in this month's (June 2006 actually) edition; the ones it reviews are the Canon PowerShot SD430 (three stars, $500 US) and the Nikon Coolpix P2 (also three stars, $400 US), however, both suffer from 'Flawed' battery life. Wireless means that it can connect to a computer or printer wirelessly, it cannot be connected to a network and then have its pictures emailed, unfortunately. Also, the Nikon can only connect to one network at a time- its software lets you set up a specific network (hopefully your own) for the camera, but, unless you set up the software again on another computer, it cannot connect to just any network (this also means that if you set it up with a new network, when you go back home- or where ever- you have to set up your personal network AGAIN). At the moment, these features seem somewhat gimicky IMO, but, once they are improved and more widely available (and slightly cheaper), would be a very nice thing to have as part of your camera.
    (Both cameras are 5MP)
  9. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
    Canon does have a high end wireless transmitter...i use one with my 1ds mkII for studio and location shoots. It can connect to a network and transmit images from the 1D series, 5D and 30D cameras to a router and then to a computer. I can shoot, then view the images right after shooting on the ACD's, OR i can have the images go to a automator folder, which then goes through a workflow.