Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by auxplage, Feb 22, 2005.

1. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    How many Camino users are out there? I have been using it now for a few weeks, and it is a dream. It is even faster than FireFox - way faster - then about 5x faster than Safari. I mean I think it is really ridiculous. It is very stable as well even though it is in Beta form still. I have yet to have one complaint. I was just wondering how many of "yall" out there are presentlly using Camino (if not you should (though of course it is a matter of personal preference))?
  2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Yep, I've also found Camino to be extremely fast, but I'm just not keen on the UI. The tabbed browsing implementation is particularly shoddy.
  3. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    tried it.. hated it... went back to firefox at school, and safari at home without thinking twice. (safari doesn't work well with the schools proxy)
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i love Camino, i only want two things to be done to it and i will use it full-time

1. spell check, come on, its supposed to be built for OS X so why doesn't it have this already?

2. better tabbed browsing implementation, it is better than FF to me, but i dont like how it is centered, if it could just be aligned left it would be great
  5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I've used Camino as my main browser since version 0.6 and I continue to do so. It just works better than Safari (which I do use occasionally, and I also like Safari's tab system a little better) and for me it feels MUCH smoother than Firefox, which I've tried but never use as more than a backup.

Basically, Camino provides the superior Gecko rendering engine with a better Mac-style interface than Firefox and speed comperable to Safari.

Now where's the dang spellcheck!
  6. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    not going to happen.. why? because the rendering engine (Gecko) uses it's own XUL text boxes and such. It doesn't use the native OSes text boxes (which have spell check built in). It's what makes Firefox and Gecko so cross platform, it implements it's own controls as to have 1 set of controls to maintain instead of 1 for each OS. so don't count on this one happening unless it's built into Gecko or Firefox or what have you.
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    yes, but since Camino is not a cross platform browser, couldnt they alter it in such a way that it can take full advantage of OS X including services and spell check?
  8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Yeah, spell checking is going to be difficult to implement unless the team completely switches the rendering engine. However, I haven't looked too much into the problem so there may be a simpler solution that the team is working on.

As far as the tabs, the latest builds use a new tab system that works a lot better. Check it out, it's like a cross between Safari's and FireFox's. In my opinion, Camino is the best browser out there for the Mac.
  9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Spell checking is in the works, but it won't be the native Mac OS X spell checker, as that would require a lot more work to do (though I believe it is a future goal).

Anyway, I'd highly recommend you try my optimized builds at

And I've been a camino user since the first release.
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    They could and face the difficulty of having to re-integrate various parts of the Mozilla innovations each time there is a change on either side. It's much more work.

It would probably be easier to create a layer in-between the text boxes spell check behaviour that would contact the Mac OS X spell check manually, in order to take advantage of the various languages more easily than developing their own architecture.
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i dont know all of these specifics to be honest, thanks for the info

the reason spell check is so important to me is because i do use it a lot, im sure there is a work around that they could use to get it to work, its okay if it takes time, just something i would like to have though
  12. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    firefox has extensions that add spell check.. maybe that's an option
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    yes i know, ive given them a shot although i cant stand the interface in firefox, and they feel clunky in comparison, i think i might start using Camino full time again, who knows, but i just wish Safari was as fast
  14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

I used Camino since b4 it was called Camino, b4 Safari was released.
    Safari is so slow compared to Camino. Camino is faster than Firefox too.

Camino crashes more than any other app on my Mac, but it is open 99% of the time on my Mac.
    But the new 08.2 int version hasn't crashed yet.
    Most of the earlier versions crashed when dealing with poor Java code and/or movies.

I can load 5 or 6 mac news sites in Camino b4 a single one fully loads in Safari or IE

I am using Camino now ;)

I am still waiting for a fast OSX browser (besides IE) where the user has the option to disable "url autocomplete." Yeah the feature is good most the time but can get in the way and be annoying sometimes.

Why does Apple keep taking away options? Why can't I choose any color for a desktop background, in a simple way, like OS 9? Colorpicker for desktop has vanished as far as I know?
  15. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    i'm using a g4 optimized version of camino for my g4 ibook and a g5 optimized version for my PM G5...and they are fast! i use camino 90% of the time (firefox for proxy access to my univ. library and turbotax, which doesn't like camino for some of its online stuff)...some things that bug me, though:

- cache sucks, so i lose some or all of my favicons at every quit/restart of camino

- spell check, or lack thereof

- limited configurability (i know, i know...that's what firefox is for)

i want to like FF, but it just doesn't seem to work like an OS X app, no matter what theme i use. and FF's keyboard shortcuts aren't standard...i can change the default shortcuts (and i have for some), but i shouldn't have to.

try some of the optimized camino builds - you might be pleasantly surprised.
  16. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I prefer Camino over Safari (but I like both.)

I used FF on Windows, but won't be using it on Mac until the Aqua-ized version comes out (March?)
  17. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i use camino all the time as my main browser and this is because it is the best browser.

the one thing i think i would like to see included is rss, not that i really use it much at the moment (because it isnt in camino!) but if it was im sure i would make use of it.
  18. snowdog macrumors member

Jan 21, 2004
    Visby, Sweden
  19. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I remember the first couple of releases the application itself was called "Navigator", even though the project was called Chimera.

Apparently you didn't read this entire thread... but I won't give you a hard time.

I've taken to updating my builds sorta on a every other day schedule, and decided I needent bother posting every time I make a new build.
  20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i decided to give it another go, the tabs are much better, so that problem is totally fixed for me now

the speed is great, but i did get one pop-up today, but with Safari and PithHelmet i get none, so i just hope that these new pop-ups get taken care of

and i just hope one day we get a spell checker integrated, RSS would be nice too, i would be content then
  21. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    Get hold of one of the latest nightlies. The tabs have been improved, and it feels much nicer than than the 0.82 version.

Also pick up Camino Extra Prefs (find it at Version Tracker) to metallise it (if you want) and to tweak it to your heart's content. It's not quite Firefox levels of tweakability, but it's enough for me.