camino 1.0 out!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steelfist, Feb 14, 2006.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm pretty excited about this, as just recently I was trying to decide what my default browser should be. It's been Safari since it's release, as Firefox for Mac just doesn't have a very mac-like feel. Camino is perfect, but I'd reccomend getting CamiTools also.

Keep up the good work Mozilla devs!

3. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I like Camino and I am going to check this out tonight but I was disapointed to not see a private browsing option similar to what Safari has.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Posting this from Camino 1.0... :)

A couple of questions:
    - I thought Camino supported OS X' built-in spell checker, but apparently I was wrong...?
    - Can I change/add search engines in the search field up by the location bar...?
    - Is there some form of find-as-you-type for searching on the current webpage or am I locked to cmd-F?

Not changing from Firefox at this point, it seems... ;)

5. steelfist thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I've always felt camino very slow, am I doing something wrong with configuration?

7. Malcster macrumors 6502

Great News! will grab it as soon as i get home, Easily best browser for Mac, is it a universal binary now?

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

-Spell Checker is coming. Really really soon, it just couldn't make it into the 1.0 release process.
    -Use CamiTools to customize the search bar.
    -Type slash and start typing. CamiTools can make find-as-you-type on the moment you start typing if you like.

I'm so excited about this release. Check out my full review/writeup (updated for the 1.0 release) here.

Edit:
    Yes it is. :)

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It's great that Camino has reached this point, but it seems like most people here would stick to the optimized trunk builds.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Downloaded CamiTools on steelfist's recommendation above, and it looks good.

Just two problems:
    - No spell checking, yet (which isn't that great problem, since SpellBound hasn't been updated for FF 1.5.0.1, yet, either ;))
    - Configuration of the Flash-/Adblocker and the search engines. My FF Adblock is easier to configure to my needs (just taking out Flash based ads, and not other ads or other flash contents) and I have more than 25 home made search engines for Firefox that doesn't seem like is possible to transfer (maybe my old AcidSearch ones can be used?).

One upside:
    - Camino doesn't make a zillion copies of the bookmarks file... which is my, by far, biggest issue with FF... ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll continue to send good karma Camino's way, but not use it. :) But I wish it well, and maybe someday. Someday after native as-you-type spell checking. ;)

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's the one key element I miss. But I'll still take poor spelling over Safari's inevitable slow down. :p

13. Damien macrumors regular

I also find it very slow, does anyone know how to speed to up? I already added the user.js file

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't noticed it very slow for a very long time. The 1.0 betas have been quite fast although version 0.7.x was both a bit slow and very broken.

I don't trust external sources to something with which I'm going to do any shopping or pay bills, so I'd rather deal with getting everything from the original sources even if it's a bit slower.

15. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

thats the one I've got on my computer, I may wait until spelling is added, because I need it, I'm a crap speller. Then I will give it another go. Cheers

16. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

the question is, whose optimized version are you using? i'm quite partial to this one: http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/ however, now that it's a UB, what are the optimizations for the intel chip?

question: are any of you getting strange results with .asx and .php files? sometimes when i check my cart while shopping or go to some other forum sites, instead of rendering some of the items on the page, camino downloads them and then opens them up using dreamweaver...i'm using 1.0b2...anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would say to get rid of the older version because version 1.0 is that good. I prefer Firefox simply because the extensions make it so much more usable. CamiTools help Camino but it's still not as usable, for me, as Firefox is.

18. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

There is a find-as-you-type extension, I think its activitated by the "/" key. However, the extension is incomplete, and doesn't work in text boxes.

Camino does support OS X's built-in spell checker, but only in the title and google search areas. The browser portion of the window is rendered by Gecko, which doesn't seem to interact well with OS X services.

19. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh, yeah.... So far I'm still taken by Safari. :) I have hopes, though, for Camino. I think it's a great project. :)

21. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Without a doubt, my favourite OS X browser. Has been for quite a while, and I imagine this will remain so for quite a while longer.

Recommended.