camino 1.5 released

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by clevin, Jun 5, 2007.

1. macrumors G3

clevin

2. Moderator emeritus

devilot

OMFG. Finally! :D

Thanks for posting this or who knows how the hell long I'd have gone w/out noticing this update!

3. macrumors newbie

Camino 1.5 crashing

Anyone else having problems with Camino 1.5? Saw that 1.5 was released today so I thought I would once again give Camino a try. Didn't have any previous versions installed on my system. Downloaded, installed in Applications, and every time I double-click to launch, Camino crashes without a browser window even appearing.

That's not good. I am running 10.4.9 on my 15" MBP C2D.

/Todd

4. Retired

psychofreak

I have Camino, for when Safari doesn't work with a site. If it had Inquisitor (that looked like the Safari one), I would switch...

5. macrumors Core

awesome news. :D
    thanks for the update clevin.

6. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you have had problems before try deleting org.mozilla.camino.plist and try launching Camino again.

7. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I love the session saving feature. Safari really needs this (and if it already has it, someone better let me know). I still like Safari though, but session saving is amazing.

8. macrumors 68030

There's a free plug-in for Safari that provides session saving (and a bunch of other stuff.)

I'm not on my Mac, so don't remember the name.

9. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, long time Firefox user (and very happy with that), but I figured I'd give Camino 1.5 a try... actually posting this from Camino...

A couple of questions:

1) How do I get rid of those frelling bookmark icons (especially in the bookmark bar): Picture 2.jpg

2) Is it possible to add more search engines in the top right search field? (I'm very addicted to my 48 search engines in FF.)

3) Where do I set the language of the spell checker? Now it seems to allow both color and colour, so I guess it somehow allows "all" English forms, but sometimes I might wanna use Norwegian...

10. macrumors Core

Mitty, i don't have exact solutions for you but check out this site for some add ons that'll help do what you want.

11. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You add a plain text file called user.js file to ~/Library/Application Support/Camino. Then:
    See http://www.caminobrowser.org/documentation/search/

I think it uses the standard Mac OS X language, mine accepts colour but puts squiggles under color.

12. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah... I was afraid of something like that... I don't have good experiences with (more or less official) "extras" (even in Firefox I only rely on a selected few, and FF is made for addons). :eek:

Maybe a theme to get rid of those (highly annoying) bookmark icons, though... :p

Edit: Or maybe one or more of Eraserhead's (earlier called excellent) solutions... thanks... :)

Edit 2 (The "Hmmm..."):

1: Sat browser.chrome.favicons to false (using about:config) and that didn't work exactly as planned, now it shows the sites favicon if any and the default icon for those without (or not visited, yet). They still take way to much space (in the Bookmarks Bar :(, elsewhere I couldn't care less ;)).

2: Tested making searches a bit, but soon ran into problems: Some of the sites I use require special encoding, something I can set using FF search engines or AcidSearch strings... so those searches weren't too good... also I after adding about 8 of my 48 engines Camino reverted to the default 3... :(

3: Not a big problem, I'm usually fairly good at Norwegian spelling and as long as I get the occasional wink about my English (mainly British) spelling all is well... :)

13. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heh, that's just because everything in Norwegian is spelled like it sounds. :p

*well, almost*

14. macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Search function is the same as in Safari and that really sucks compared to Firefox. Also, I can't use a browser that doesn't go to tab 1 when press :apple: +1, to tab 2 when :apple: +2...

I'm trying to avoid Firefox because it's running slow but I can't without these options...

15. macrumors 6502a

You need to get Stand plugin...works great for session saving and getting rid of the brushed metal: http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

have you tried inquisitor to search with in safair its amazing! http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/

16. macrumors 6502

nukiduz

it adds some shortcut options but you it hasn't convinced me. thanks for the hint though. it's a nice app :)

17. macrumors 68000

M@lew

Crashes for me. :confused: Tried deleting everything, but no solution.

18. macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I like the look of camino but i have a few complaints,

No Inquisitor, im addicted,
    Dont know how to change tabs with the keyboard,
    And most annoying, you may not agree with it but I love when you hit Maximize with apples applications it only maximizes it as much as it needs. I love that feature, dont know if camino can do that.

If anyone has any solutions to these, please let me know.

Matt

19. macrumors Core

don't know about Inquisitor, i tried it on Safari and hated it.
    changing tabs is Command + Option + arrow key left/right
    play around with the maximize, or just set it the size you want from the corner

20. macrumors 6502a

fistful

The zoom button actually zooms now instead of going full-screen.

http://camino.sb.samuelsidler.com/releases/1.5/

21. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At least in Firefox, there are *two* strings -- the one you set, and also browser.chrome.site_icons -- you must set them both to FALSE. See if Camino also has the latter string?

EDIT: Is there a theme that works with Camino 1.5 that looks anything like Safari or like GRApple?

22. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... when I added the browser.chrome.site_icons to the prefs.js file it did show up in about:config, but all the bookmark icons (and favicons) were still there... :(

23. macrumors member

You need to delete Camino's icon cache because it's still displaying favicons you've already downloaded. Remove all the contents from ~/Library/Caches/Camino/IconCache folder.

CaminIcon might be useful for you.

:)

24. macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I feel dumb for saying this, but I realized that I had the previous version. I DLed it like 2 days ago, assumed it was the new one.

I got 1.5 now, im happy with it.

25. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

And then it reverts back to just showing the default ones again: Picture 1.jpg

I want them gone, all together, at least from the Bookmarks Bar... :(