Camino and Firefox(mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nerveosu, Oct 15, 2004.

1. nerveosu macrumors member

Well.. Mozilla now has 3 browsers for the mac with Camino being the best of them.

Question... why doesn't Mozilla merge camino and the mac firefox projects together. Camino is the best mozilla browser with better intergration of mozilla using native OS X technologies and Firefox has all the marketing energy behind it. Seems like a win - win to me.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I don't think this belongs in "Current Events," but anyway ...

I'm not sure why they want to keep them separate. The browsers are similar as it is. Maybe the two browsers will head in different directions at some point, with one being specialized to a certain group (like kids) ... just my $0.02.

3. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

The problem, I believe, is that Camino only really uses the gecko engine. Since the interface is done in Carbon it is completely different from the UI codebase for Mozilla and Firefox. And that is the reason why Camino is so much better integrated than Mozilla or Firefox -- it's able to use system specific routines.

Keeping the backend rendering engine on a common codebase is really the best they can do, and is what has been done.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

quite frankly i'm pleased they are speperate. camino is so much nicer than firefox and miles ahead of mozilla!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Personally i cant decide which i want to use, Safari, Firefox, or Camino

i think im going to be ditching Safari soon, simply because i like the speed and layouts of Firefox and Camino better, and i think Camino is probably going to win out in the long run, im using it right now, for the first time in a while and i like it a lot more than i used to, the interface is just better tahn Firefox's, thats my biggest gripe with it, and the skins dont do anything for me, but Firefox has the extensions you can add on, which i really dont need either, so i guess Camio is going to win out eventually, i just have to transfer my bookmarks from Safari over, and all that.....and here i am ranting, sorry!!

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i agree. i like safari, basically becuase it is apple, but when i went home for the summer and had to use dial-up, the speed of camino drew me to it and i have fallen in love with it (is it possible to fall in love with a computer programme? if so i think it is very sad!) i tried going back to safari when i went back to uni and got my nice 1Mbit connection but i just didnt like it for some reason in comparison to camino. i think i will give it a go again when the new version is released that is supposedly quicker, but there will prob be camino 1.0 out by then!

7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

8. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Firefox has AdBlock. 'Nuff said. Actually as far as I know, Camino doesn't have any kind of ad banner blocking, does it? I couldn't stand to use a browser without ad blocking, that'd be almost as bad as IE.

I had the impression that Camino is kind of dying out. I think they should focus on making Firefox the best it can be, rather than maintaining separate browsers for different OSes. Safari will always be more integrated visually with Mac OS X than a Mozilla product, but as far as features go, Firefox gets my vote.

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I have one thing to say:

THEY HAVE TO FIX THE MIDDLE CLICK!

Augh. That drives me crazy in firefox. Especially since the fix is there now, but last I saw they hadn't figured out how to get it into the build.

A browser that doesn't middle click to open a link is useless to me. When that finally makes it into firefox releases I will start to consider using it.

P.S. Camino seems to go through dying/reinvigorating stages. Right now it's in a reinvigorating stage.

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Good point. And Camino also has a horrible Flash Player. Other than that, it's really great browser. It's a shame that it lacks those features. I guess I'll probably keep using Firefox for now.

11. iceTrX macrumors regular

Camino doesn't have a spell check. Camino is a cocoa application so shouldn't this be built in by default? I cannot live without the spell check inside Safari. I'm serious, I would go crazy.

12. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, I actually found a way to get the banner ad blocking to work.
    http://toadstool.se/journal/2004/05/18/camino-08b-review

If you look in the second comment, then you can find out how to do it too.

And the Flash Player isn't nearly as bad as I remembered it to be.

Yay! I can finally use my favorite browser again!

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i cant quite figure out what i have to do to get the adblocking to work, help? please? :eek:

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Go to
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/adblock.html and copy the code in the white box, and save it as userContent.css on your Desktop. Then place it in your home folder -> Library -> Application Support -> Camino -> chrome.

After you do that, restart Camino, and banner ads will be blocked.