Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I used this browser the most on my 2001 iBook under Mac OS X 10.1. I think I might have it Docked on an older Panther or Tiger installation. However, my main web browser since Mac OS X was first released was OmniWeb for many, many years (however, I now switch between Safari and Chrome).

I remember using Chimera 0.7. There were some nice features which I was hoping would end up in some other browsers. Also loved some of the early toolbar icons and even kept using those instead of some of the newer icons used in later version.

Got on board when it was called "Navigator". The OS X browser decision process for me was as follows:

1) IE comes preinstalled - but it's a half a**ed preview... next
2) HEY this Ominweb thing does well - but I have to pay... next
3) Alrighty, this mozilla thing is tolerable - but I like the built in OS X mail and so it's too big and sluggish... next
4) Navigator... fast and free... nice

The it got called Chimera which spawned Phoenix on the windows side.

Chimera then became Camino and all was well on the Mac

Phoenix became Firebird and then Firefox and all was well on Windows

Needless to say, I'm sad these two browsers have had their run (judging both by market share). I'm really looking forward to what comes out of mozilla next though.

Homeslice

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2009
was my default browser until safari was announced.

back when you could still get IE for mac too

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Oh no, not...what was it again?

Don't make fun of a (formerly) good product just because you're (probably) too young to remember it. Mozilla (yes, Mozilla, not Firefox) back in the day ran on OS X but always looked a bit out-of-place. Camino took the Gecko rendering engine from Mozilla and wrote a native Aqua interface around it. It was much nicer to use.

Oh, and then Firefox (then called Phoenix) came along later and did the something similar for Windows and Linux, albeit with the standard XUL/Gecko-based UI. They actually didn't make a Mac version at first because they didn't want to put effort into filling an already-filled niche.

Camino (formerly Chimera itself) has since fallen behind, and the look and feel of Firefox on OS X (which, of course, they eventually decided to make--once Mozilla developers shifted primary focus to Firefox rather than the suite as their future) has dramatically improved. While Firefox still doesn't integrate with OS X features like Keychain, it's no longer as bad as it once was. Meanwhile, while it was never my primary browser, I've had a hard time justifying keeping Camino around as even a backup browser.

Still, its influence is not to be understated. RIP.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Goodbye old friend. I still remember using it back when there wasn't a whole lot of other better options. It was solid back then, but hasn't really changed too much since, so this comes at no surprise really. I was more surprised it took them this long before discontinuing it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
RIP

You were a good browser in your day. With the exception of how the tabs are designed (wished they look more like Safari) I loved the UI.

At least we still have OmniWeb

The Omni Group seems to be focusing on things that make them money ... and OmniWeb isn't one of them

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Features and speed are severely lacking so this is understandable, but I still remember in elementary school when teachers told us to fire up Safari or Camino in the library so we could do research :)

I wish the Camifox extension for Firefox still worked as I'm still partial to the way Camino works. I'll be keeping a copy of it on my G4 Powerbook since Safari is very slow in that machine.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Never used Camino, but if I love the idea of it. If my first Mac wasn't after they had switched to Intel, I would have probably used it too.

I find it awesome that most desktop web browsers now are at least tolerable, I would probably choose IE 8 or 9 over just about anything 5 years ago had to offer.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
It's the only browser that works on my 2002, 700mhz PowerBook :( looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade ;)

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I find it hard to believe people were actually still using this in 2013. Too many better options.

I think there may be 4 people out there upset by this

It's probably the best browser to use on 'vintage' macs, like my two iMac G3's. It has built-in options to block ads and Flash. Which, on a 400MHz PPC processor, are great features to have.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
In some ways better than Chrome

It may have been a bit long in the tooth, but at least Camino had the tabs' close boxes on the "Mac side", i.e., left side, just like Safari does.

It annoys me no end that Chrome insists on putting the tab's close buttons on the "Windows side" even on Mac, and there's no way to change it. Talk about cognitive dissonance. It's really irksome when the Windows look and feel leaks onto the Mac platform for cross-platform apps.

(At least with Firefox you can mod the browser to have the close boxes on the left.)

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
It was, is, and will be for som time to come - my main browser when on Mac. Fastest PowerPC-browser in my opinion.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Rip

To a great piece of OS X software.

Leopardwebkit is honestly the way to go on PowerPC now, and was last updated a few days ago. Install with the included shell script and all of your webkit browsers (such as Omniweb, Roccat, iCab, Stainless) will now have the latest webkit core running within them, and with ClicktoFlash and ClicktoPlugin installed I can watch most (though not all) webvideo without the hated Flash in Quicktime.

Love and use tenfourfox, it still does things Leopardwebkit can't, but isn't as speedy. Stick with version 17.X.X if you need plugins.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
At least we still have OmniWeb

Do we? I gave up waiting for a 64-bit-compatible release, let alone one with an updated version of WebKit. I bought OmniWeb back when it was shareware and greatly prefer OmniWeb's vertical tabs and keyword searching features over Safari, but eventually I got tired of waiting and switched to Safari.

I hope Omni Group can release OmniWeb's source and let the community develop it further, because it still has some great features other browsers can't match, but as it stagnates it just becomes more old and unusable every day.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
To a great piece of OS X software.

Leopardwebkit is honestly the way to go on PowerPC now, and was last updated a few days ago. Install with the included shell script and all of your webkit browsers (such as Omniweb, Roccat, iCab, Stainless) will now have the latest webkit core running within them, and with ClicktoFlash and ClicktoPlugin installed I can watch most (though not all) webvideo without the hated Flash in Quicktime.

Love and use tenfourfox, it still does things Leopardwebkit can't, but isn't as speedy. Stick with version 17.X.X if you need plugins.

Stainless is dead, iCab has a new beta.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
One of my two main browsers on my eMac - not as compatible with some websites as TenFourFox, but usually all-around quicker on most.

Just another nail in the coffin for 10.4/PPC. :(

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I forgot this existed. I mean, even among the niche browsers almost nobody used, Camino was tiny. I'm surprised it hung on as long as it did.

Competition is nice, even if nobody notices you. I don't think we've seen the end of the browser wars, though. We've seen so many iterations, little browsers coming out of nowhere, big companies suddenly making their own, browsers living and dying. I think the mobile browser space is going to introduce some new players, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there's a whole new set of names in the browser space. There's always open-source offshoots and who knows what the Linux people are up to there's a whole slew of different ones in that world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.