Camino = Firefox w/ Mac Interface?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ColdFlame87, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2004
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hello everyone I recently started to notice Camino for Mac after having had been using firefox for the last few months. I was wondering if Camino provides the same usability and stability that firefox does, aside from the themes and plugins? Does anyone here use Camino, whats your experience with it? I do admit it looks real pretty and more mac centric :D
  2. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    In Hell
    Camino would be better with a decent ad blocker. The internet is simply painful without one.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    "Firefox = Cross-platform Camino" is a better description; I believe that Camino came first.

Edit: Yep. The first release of Camino (then called Chimera) was on 13/2/02, Firefox (Pheonix) was 7 months later (23/9/02).
  4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    There is one. All you need is a plugin called Camitools:

Gives Camino lots of extra functionality.

There's also for other plugins.

Camino uses the firefox rendering engine, but is a native OS X app so if you can do without plugins and themes, Camino is definitely better than Firefox on the mac.
  5. remedya macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    Camitools for Camino browser

Try Camitools
  6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Doesn't Camino have a built-in ad blocker? Am I missing something?

Attached Files:

7. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    In Hell

The key word I used was decent. The Camino one block ads like a sieve holds water.
  8. linkboy macrumors member

Jun 9, 2006
    The only thing keeping me from switching over to Camino is the fact that it doesn't support IGNBQ.

I post on IGN and I need that extension.
  9. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Camino has an amazing ad block system. However, I have had trouble with some webpages in Camino that I was able to view just fine in Firefox. It's still a relatively new application so there are bugs and not a lot of integration plug-in-wise.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    And the only reason I stick with Firefox is because I can't change connection settings like I can with Firefox, unless I missed something very very obvious. *looks around the room*

Oh, and Firefox allows you to move tabs and change their order in the "tab bar." Camino seems faster, and it probably is. I think Firefox is clunky and tries to be too much. It used to be the "zippy" browser, since the main Mozilla browser and the rest of the package was rather full-featured at the time. Now, Firefox is what the Mozilla browser was, and Camino seems to be zippy.

I'll probably switch to Camino full time, but I do use both browsers now.
  11. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    i started using camino just slightly before it went 1.0 and i have been very happy with it. there are some issues, i have had problems with some flash content, but i dont want to turn all flash off even though that is an option with camitools. on the whole, my experience has been good enough to make it my default browser. i used Opera 9 for a little bit, but i dont want all the extra features, i want a lightweight fast browser.

Camino has been pretty great for me.
  12. goomba macrumors member

Jun 14, 2006
    Camino has all the hidden options you need in 'about:config' just like Firefox, even if they don't show up in the Preferences dialog. Installing CamiTools will give you GUI access to more of these features, in addition to a bunch of other goodies.

Camino is the best of all worlds: A great, Cocoa interface, compatibility, and speed. Extension support is all it lacks. As for spell-checking, the latest nightly builds are working on it and making good progress. :cool:
  13. encro macrumors 6502

May 6, 2002
    Camino is actually one of the first browsers for OS X (alongside Omniweb) but used to be known by the name Chimera. The project had to change the name due to a trademark issue a couple of years ago :)
  14. aa... macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2005
    I've wanted to cross over to Firefox and then Camino but keep getting pulled back to Safari No1(just) Firefox No2.

For some reason, 'View Source' renders shockingly on both the Mozilla browsers no matter what i set in the Prefs.

But most of all the Bookmarking in the Mozilla pair is rubbish compared to Safari. I can Bookmark 10 tabs in about 30secs on safari. But the Mozilla pair force you to go through the whole folder selection process every frikken time.

The extensions to Firefox are the big drawcard. If it becomes a little more osx'ish it'll have me.
  15. encro macrumors 6502

May 6, 2002
    Bookmark all tabs works in Camino. Simply Add to Bookmarks (I'm at work so can't remember the menu shortcut) and tick the Bookmark all tabs checkbox.

Extensions are cool, right now Camino doesn't support xpi plugins but will one day hopefully have a plugin architechture.
  16. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Only reason I use Firefox is for its Extensions :cool:

Why would I want to use something similar with less functionality :p

Bit like me deciding to buy an Audi over a VW (under the skin virtually identical) with less equipment and toys in it just because it may look nicer to some:eek:
  17. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    I have the latest Firefox UB build and I still find that it crashes and closes with alarming regularity, so I am not sure that Camino having the same stability as Firefox would necessarily be a positive.
  18. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Camino is substantially more stable than Firefox.
  19. tnoble10 macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    Safari Is The Best Browser I've Found By Far

I would rate Camino second. And Firefox a distant third.

Firefox is virtually unusable for me on, for example. Its cache and cookie capacity is so MINISCULE that, if I don't delete the cookies and empty the cache as often as a mere 3 or 4 minutes, it will often balk at letting me enter a bid. Often at critical times near the end of a listing.

Whereas, with Safari I can usually go all day long without having to empty the cache and delete cookies.

And Safari's history capacity is beyond awesome. Plus it is readily accessed by clicking on the bar at top, giving you a dropdown displaying up to THOUSANDS of pages over a period of several pages.

And if I realize ten pages later that I made a mistake in an email I sent, all I need do is back up ten pages and I will find the original email STILL INTACT, so I can correct it, then re-send it. With Firefox and other browsers all I get is a new message page.
  20. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Love Camino. It still has some bugs, but if you email them you'll usually get a response. I use it at work, and I browse a lot, so it should be good enough for most people.

I prefer the UI greatly to Firefox, despite Firefox being a little more functional.
  22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Camino ftw!

its an awesome little browser. it could use some small improvements, like RSS but i believe they'll happen eventually. its very stable and fast. i can't stand firefox on the Mac at all. and Safari just seems to be slow with some things. i use it as my primary browser everyday at home. :D
  23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If you say so. I'd deleted Camino recently because it wasn't able to be reformed and Firefox version 2 was quite a bit more stable.
  24. NotFound macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2006
    Until Camino supports RSS Bookmark feeds- then it will stay out of my Apps folder.
  25. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I think "extension support is all it lacks" really understates it, because many of us use Firefox specifically because of the extensions. However Camino also doesn't have quite the flexibility when it comes to cookie management, compared to firefox.

I try switching to Camino about every six months, since I would really like the Keychain integration. But I always end up switching back to Firefox after a few days.