Camino Having Issues Under Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Makosuke, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Is anybody else having some odd rendering glitches in Camino on Panther, or is it just me?

I'm using 0.7 (stable), and although it's worked spectacularly under Jaguar, it seems to be doing some bizzare stuff in Panther. Specifically, a very small number of Japanese pages show up with white patches that (usually) disappear if you resize the window. I have yet to see it on an English page.

Weirder, some floating text on pages not only draws wrong on the window, it'll actually cruise right up through the URL bar and title bar as you resize the window. I've seen this repeatably on Versiontracker but rarely elsewhere, it does not happen under Jaguar (tried it on another computer today), deleting all prefs does not help, and it happens in multiple users.

Attached are pics of the top chunk of the same page at different widths; you'll see the floating text block start a little off, then drift right up through the title bar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried the latest nightly, but it made a mess of my toolbar links, so I'm passing for now, since I can put up with the glitches. Just wonder if it's something wrong with my system, or if it's a Camino issue.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The first time or two I ran Camino under Panther, it crashed the system and I had to use the hardware reset button to re-boot.

Last night, I clicked it by accident, after my Archive and Install, and it came up quickly with no bookmarks.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that it's having trouble rendering but I'm now using Mozilla because it seems safe in comparison.

3. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I dragged Camino (0.7) across from a Jaguar partition into Panther and it´s flying as fast and reliably as ever. Maybe you just need to re-install it.

If only they could make the Camino tool bar a bit more Mac like. Safari might be the slickest looking and best integrated browser for the Mac, but the only operations it performs quicker than Camino is starting up, and reloading pages! Otherwise I really dont see where the Safari is fastest on a Mac speed hype comes from. Hope you get Camino going again.

4. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Actually, I'm still using Camino, and *almost* without issue. It launches just fine, I didn't have to do anything at all to my old prefs to get it to run, and on 98% of pages, it works just fine.

Fortunately for me, VersionTracker is the only page I frequent that it has glitches with, and they're only cosmetic, so for the time being I'm still using it. Unfortunately for my wife, the blank area problem on some of the Japanese sites she frequents has forced her into Safari (and I might add she's got a different login, with far less baggage).

I'm taking this to mean that the text-banner ads on VersionTracker render fine for you, billyboy, which would imply that it's just me?

5. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Yes, the site comes up perfectly for me, sorry :)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since I deleted everything and re-installed Camino, I've been having issues from time to time with text and images too.

7. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Just for reference, I've now installed Panther on a 2nd machine, and Camino is showing the identical problem, where before the upgrade it unquestionably did not. Deleting all Camino prefs does not help, so there is definitely some sort of issue between Camino 0.7 and Panther (and one that is not present in other Geko-based browsers, such as Firebird).

It's easy to reporduce--pretty much any site with a horizontal Google AdWords banner will, when resizing the window, move the AdWords chunk of text all over the place. MacRumors, VersionTracker, and lots of other sites use AdWords, so it's easy enough to find one suceptable to the bug.

8. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Ouch, I see what you mean now. Since yesterday the ad banner on the tops of MacRumor pages has started to drop down - though it repositions itself correctly on a refresh or scroll down and back up.

I guess Camino would like to hear about that.

9. mikepinkerton macrumors newbie

I just found this is a bug in panther. I have a test app that demonstrates it. I'll be pursuing it with Apple

--Pink

10. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone