Camino now has spell checking...i think

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prostuff1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

First i have to say that i am using nightly builds of Camino so i am not sure if it is like this in an official release.

I noticed a couple of days ago that when i was replying to one of the threads here that it underlined one of my words that i had misspelled.

Has anyone else noticed this??

Here is a screen shot to show you what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not in the offical last release, but i know that they've been working on it.

what nightly build do you have? link? i'd like to give it a try.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you for pointing this out! This is the one feature I was waiting on Camino to offer. :)

4. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

To be honest i am not sure. I use a program called CaminoKnight and i think the last time i ran it was about 3-4 days ago. If you find CaminoKnight and download it you should be able to run it and update Camino to a nightly build.

CaminoKnight is a very nice program because it allows you to download for specific machines (i.e. optimized builds). I run the G4-7450 build on my iBook and the G5 optimized build on my iMac.

If you need something specific let me now how to find it I might be able to.

Also: I am finally past post 500!!! Avatar time.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Congrats on 6502hood!!!! :D

This CaminoKnight sounds interesting... I should check it out. :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've heard about it, but maybe finally i'll give it a chance, never saw a reason, but knowin it locates the optimized builds, well that would be great in and of itself. thanks for the info.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Of course, it is a feature already offered in good ol' Safari. ;) :)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it is, but i just don't like the implementation of everything else in safari to be honest. Camino renders and loads so much better for me.

and i can't seem to find a link to dl CaminoKnight, the 3.0 link on VersionTracker loads a page that can't find the file. :(

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it is...and Safari is what I mostly use. ;)

10. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

http://web.mac.com/reinholdpenner/iWeb/Software/CaminoKnight.html

There is a page that works to download CaminoKnight.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I know, Safari is not the ideal browser for everyone. :eek: :)

but it should be...... ; )

12. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I would use Safari more but i like the way camino does the bookmarks bar.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thank you very much prostuff1!

and it could be, but its bloated in my opinion and its rendering is too slow. clunky interface too. i like not having to have all the site's name in my bookmarks bar, just their favicon. and i just perfer the UNO-esque look of the browser over Metal.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

why couldent it just use the built in spellchecking?

oh and safari is perfect for me, i'd never change a thing with it. it's faster than firefox and far less annoying.

one annoyance are messages that have a check box that says "always show this messege" no matter what you do to the box the message still appears, safari has no such messages.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, Safari, like every other browser out there, has both it's good points and it's bad points. :)

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

something to do with the Gecko engine i believe was the issue why they couldn't use OS X's built in spell check. a shame thought, otherwise it would've had it from the beginning.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The way I understand it, the spell-checking feature in OS X arises from properties of certain Cocoa interface elements. And Camino originally didn't use those kinds of text boxes, as you're saying, and that's why it couldn't. And also why Firefox (which really, really doesn't use Cocoa interface elements) also does not make use of the spell checker, but why apps like Adium that were designed from the ground up in the Apple environment have for a long time.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It seems to offer suggestions now of spelling mistakes (at least on MR) as of the 1st July nightly in the context menu. :)

19. Lau Guest

I've been using Camino for a fair while now, as Safari seemed really slow. Recently I thought I'd give Safari a shot again (sorry, devilot!), due to missing a few of the features of Safari, such as some of the shortcuts and the spell checker.

However, although Safari seems faster than it did, it's still slower then Camino, and doesn't block pop-ups nearly as well, and, most annoyingly, a lot more websites fail to recognise the flash plugin, and other java bits and pieces.

Now it has a spell checker, it's back to Camino for me. Thanks for the heads up, prostuff1. Now if only it looked as smart as Safari...

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess this is a new feature among all of the Mozilla browser family. Bon Echo (Firefox 2 alpha) has had spell checking for a while now, though you have to install additional languages from the Thunderbird dictionaries... :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But so the spell checking in Bon Echo is based on the T-bird dictionaries, and has loose heritage to Spellbound, right? Whereas the spellchecking in Camino appears to be the Cocoa spell-checker that's in OS X? Is that true or false? Technical point, with relatively little practical ramification (aside from the fact that in the latter case, any training the dictionary gets elsewhere carries over...now if only Word used it!).

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have no idea... :eek: but I don't think Bon Echo's spell check has anything directly to do with Spellbound, because I had the developer version of Spellbound installed and that has quite different behaviour (for one it doesn't suggest alternative spelling from the context menu).

But I don't really know and others might correct me on this... ;)

23. Lau Guest

Having downloaded the nightly build, it does indeed underline any spelling mistakes. But do you know what? If you right click, it doesn't suggest any spellings, so you still have to work it out and manually type in the word.

This is a good thing in my opinion– my spelling's fairly good (as in all my posts so far are typed in Camino, and so aren't spell checked), but I do worry about getting lazy and forgetting the words I only vaguely know how to spell by right clicking, like necessary, and suchlike, and so if it makes me notice I've spelt it wrong, but doesn't tell me how to spell it, that's quite good. :)

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, I usually make myself try again several times before resorting to using the suggestion. :eek:

But other people in this thread said they do get suggestions with the latest Camino nightly...why don't you, I wonder? :(

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you have to highlight the word for it to work, but it does indeed work. :D