Camino or Firefox - Which is better for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrometheusG5, Sep 20, 2004.

1. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

I'd like to hear from people what they think of these two browsers. I use them both, and there are features about both I like. However, Firefox doesn't seem like a well done Mac OS app. But I'm interested in opinions....

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think that they're about equal. I'd rather use Firefox since there is a larger group using it and more experiences should lead to better code. I do switch off and try the other for a while. I can't say that I've noticed one being faster than the other, despite some claims about Camino.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Firefox is rocking my world! It's very fast, and the extensions available just make it so much more functional and set it appart from the rest for me.

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I prefer Camino, and I find it to be faster than FireFox. I also prefer the interface of Camino, and the way it handles tabs.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no spell check as you type feature like in Safari.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is the only issue I have as well.

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Stop quoting your own threads!!! Are you on commission here?? ;)

But I have to admit, out of the two Firefox sure floats my goat...... but I am still too loyal to Safari right now.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, I pay myself. Doesn't really work though :confused: :eek: :D

The site that I posted that thread for is BRILLAINT, it's worth linking to ;)

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yah right there. I banged on a couple on my XP Firefox at work earlier. Good link, thanks, and I think it sells the qualities of the browser in a big way.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I like Firefox myself, but that's only because I haven't used Camino very much at all. I use it as an alternate browser when Safari can't get the job done.

10. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i prefer Camino but only because i like the interface much more. it is quite unstable at sometimes though.

11. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Camino is a fully-fledged OS X app with a lovely interface and excellent start up times. Firefox on OS X feels like a port of a Windows app and takes an age to start up.

My honest opinion is that OS X Firefox is not ready for the prime time (on Windows and Linux it's much much better) whereas Camino is a serious challenger to Safari as best OS X browser. Firefox will get better though, no question.

12. Dr. No macrumors regular

Speed

I am also a big fan of mozilla.org but,

Has anyone noticed slower scroll speeds in Camino (versus Mozilla 1.7.2)?

13. PrometheusG5 thread starter macrumors member

That's kind of the way I feel. Firefox is a good browser...but it doesn't feel like a real OS X app.