Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm getting my PB in 4 weeks and since it's apparent from reading these threads that not everyone is pleased with Safari, I am looking into browsers. I see from Mozillas homepage that Camino is made especially with OSX in mind, but on these forums I see people mentioning FireFox. I have a lot of experience with Mozilla Firebird and Opera (and Exploder, but that's not an option of course...).

What do you all suggest, Camino or FireFox? What about FireFox being a beta - any problems? :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
annk said:
I'm getting my PB in 4 weeks and since it's apparent from reading these threads that not everyone is pleased with Safari, I am looking into browsers. I see from Mozillas homepage that Camino is made especially with OSX in mind, but on these forums I see people mentioning FireFox. I have a lot of experience with Mozilla Firebird and Opera (and Exploder, but that's not an option of course...).

What do you all suggest, Camino or FireFox? What about FireFox being a beta - any problems? :confused:
Camino's a beta too, as far as I know...so don't let that sway your decision. In case you're not aware, FireFox is the new Mozilla Firebird - I'd go with that, since that's what you're experienced with. I haven't tried either browser (FireFox or Camino).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I had been using Camino until I upgraded to Panther when I began to have difficulties with it. Firefox came to a point where it became usable in more than a minimal way, so I started to use it. It also has been updated more quickly than Camino, due to having been conceived later. It works quite well and I use it regularly. Recently, Camino became available as version 0.8b and it is once again quite good--the display problems seem to be sorted.

I'm going to stay with Firefox for now but I still like Camino, and if it shows stability, I'll go back to using it.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Go with Camino, almost as fast as Safari. I can open several browsers before Firefox decides if it wants to open up or not.

budpam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I haven't used Camino in a few months, especially since I started using FireFox. I am very pleased with FireFox. Slow to open, but great after that.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Use Camino

Camino 0.8 is a great browser, and I use it exclusively. I've never had any display problems or stability issues (and for that matter, I never did with 0.7, either, so I think those issues may be a little exaggerated). Personally, I find Firefox unusable because its GUI complies with very few Aqua standards, which makes it confusing and hard to use. Camino, on the other hand, is built "from the ground up" with Aqua in mind, so you'll find its interface very familiar.

Safari does, indeed, suck. I hate the way it renders pages (waiting until all of the images are loaded before displaying the page) and it is still incompatible with a few websites I use. I also don't like the way it doesn't display the bitrate when you download a file or how little information is displayed in its status bar when loading a page.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Why are you not just downloading both and give em a try ?

I like both, but still use Safari 1.0

I have on my machine Explorer, Safari, Mozilla, Camino and Firefox. Just try them and stick with the one you like most :rolleyes:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
None!

I just followed the advice and downloaded both of them, played, surfed and... Still back in safari, personally, Camino was better than Firefox, but I like Firefox logo more :) (Off topic) , Camino was faster, really snappy, I hope to read about new features later and I can consider getting both of them by then, right now I just want to start Mozilla again for some of my profesional stuff and Safari for the personal one (that way no one cleans my windows/tabs), the onl thing I disagree with Camino is the theme, too distracting for my eyes, with safari/mozilla I can concentrate perfect into the webpage and no the borders, actually I went to the office and installed Mozilla for all of us :) ... But if you don't need the mail site of it just go with Camino and get a better theme ... ohhh and scrolling some pages was impossible with the keyboard :(... I'm used to...

My Cent...& .60 for Safari / .40 for Mozilla

OK, Mozilla doesn't let me surf with the Keyboard either but somehow I like it over Camino...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not crazy about the Camino look (I've got a small button theme for firefox that I like better) but I use Camino for one huge reason:

The middle click to open a link doesn't work on Firefox for some unknow arcane reason.

The abscence of that feature makes a browser pretty much unusable for me. As a bonus, Camino supports the keychain.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
I loved Camino, but it just stopped working for me no matter what I did. I erased preferences, deleted and re-downloaded the program, but to no avail. I miss it, but perhpas Firefox would be better. Anyway, be warned :eek:

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
stcanard said:
I'm not crazy about the Camino look (I've got a small button theme for firefox that I like better) but I use Camino for one huge reason:

The middle click to open a link doesn't work on Firefox for some unknow arcane reason.

The abscence of that feature makes a browser pretty much unusable for me. As a bonus, Camino supports the keychain.

What do you mean open a link--open [a link] in a new tab/window?

I say this b/c by default--and I didn't even know this until recently, is that middle click is used to close current tab. Personally, I find this extremely useful as nearly all the optical mice out there have the middle click. Much faster than doing right click, close tab. Of course if you're a keyboard guy, Ctrl-W (Command W for Mac) has been there FOREVER :)

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
best browser

Omniweb is still great, if you are willing to pay. omniweb 5 is good.

this is a good time for web browsers on os x.

I remember when internet explorer was it, and it sucked.

Here's my .02.

firefox is slow to open. it also has that phantom window when you use expose.

I currently use camino most. it uses the same renderer as firefox.

moo.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Been using Safari far longer than either of the others, OmniWeb, FireFox, and Camino. I've had the other 3 for a month now and trying to give them all a fair shake, I have to say Safari hands down!! :D Neither of the other 3 have spell check (or at least I can't find it) and the keyboard shortcuts are far lacking. I use RoadRunner on a G4-500 and as far as speed opening either app its as equal as I can see without actually putting a stop watch on them.
Bottom line: I'm used to Safari and can navigate through it easily. I'm not that familiar with the others but after a short time found them clumsy and non-user friendly to use. In my opinion, I'm sticking to Safari.

I spell check everything ;)

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
would anybody feel so kind as to post some screen shots of firefox, camino, opera, omniweb, and anything else they like. The way the browser looks is pretty important to my shallow self. If you tell me i'm lazy and that i should just google for it, can you do it for me and show me the URLs?

Thanks a bunch.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well, my Firefox on my PC is skinned to look like Safari...so this may not be the best thing to base your decision on (with visuals alone).

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 134

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I just use Safari. I don't see what's wrong with it. It's fast, looks nice, and is simple.

I don't see what the big deal with Firefox is - I have it but I hate the way it displays things like drop-down menus. Camino is nicer but the tabs are less user friendly and some of the buttons don't display properly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jeffy.dee-lux said:
would anybody feel so kind as to post some screen shots of firefox, camino, opera, omniweb, and anything else they like. The way the browser looks is pretty important to my shallow self. If you tell me i'm lazy and that i should just google for it, can you do it for me and show me the URLs?

Thanks a bunch.

Sure, anything for you.

http://www.mozilla/

http://www.omnigroup/

http://www.opera/

Oh, by the way, you need to finish the URLs before you'll see anything. :D

konaforever

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2004
I haven't tried Camino. I use Firefox on my PC at home and work, and use Safari on my Powerbook. I would use Safari on the PC if they had it. I just find it simple, useful and I like the UI.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
jeffy.dee-lux said:

Thanks a bunch.

firefox on panther:

Attachments

• firefox.gif
    firefox.gif
    89.3 KB · Views: 140

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Mav451 said:
What do you mean open a link--open [a link] in a new tab/window?

Yup. Open a link in a new tab/window, in the background. The option is there but it doesn't seem to work on Panther.

When I'm reading a site like this (or a news site) I middle click the links I want to follow and let them open in the background. Once I'm done going through the new messages list, I can then use command-w to quickly read through the threads / stories. I find it to be an very efficient way to work, and can't use a browser (IE, firefox on 10.3) that doesn't support it.

Come to think of it, I use it for my google searches, and for just about anything I'm surfing -- I find it easier than the back button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.