Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Sunny CA :)
After the 1.0 version of Safari finally drove me crazy, I looked for another browser. I found Camino and figured it could not be any worse than Safari. I could never print a web page properly, had to reload every sinlge webpage I visited, couldn't load pics on eBay, and on and on.
Well to my surprise, Camino is wonderful !! Everything that did not work with Safari, works perfectly with Camino. Camino is just as fast and even has a 'send link' button (which I use often). I am so pleased with Camino that I may never go back to Safari, should they ever fix ALL the bugs.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I love Safari, but I have to say that they really screwed up the 1.0 release! Beta 2 worked great for me, was fast and everything, and it didn't have that frickin caching bug which makes the user have to reload every single page they visit to get the most current page. I don't know how Apple overlooked that one. How could they have missed that? It's sooo apparent, and frickin annoying!!!!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
1.0 is indeed inferior, it feels like a rush job to me. first major crash brought down network services which hasn't happened before. screwed me up for a while. But overall Safari is not bad for a browser conceived so recently. I'm happy using it all the time now, unless of course it decides to bring down half my system again...

pnw

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I like both Safari and Camino. They both have their strengths and weaknesses obviously. I tend to stick to Safari mostly because it doesn't sap up as much CPU as Camino. Both are good browsers though.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I've been using Camino since it was Chimera and Safari is always been second. Unfortunately, they both have sucky Flash players, which is the only reason I keep IE.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I like safari...i can also remember getting chimera because it was the best free browser out there when i got my mac....i switched to safari when they released it but kept using chimera until safari got tabs...safari works fine for the things i do annd i love the bookmark manager, i tend to save lots of urls. Then Chimera became camino and it hasn't really improved although it does look great in panther...overall each browser is nice but it comes down to personal preference\

I think its funny that montano sounds like the browser is new but most mac users had that as atleast one of their primary browsers for a long time ....back when it was chimera....

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
safari on panther is amazing. scrolling seems to be improved, and not to mention...the only other browser that loads up is IE...:rolleyes:

[edit]the latest builds of camino do not work, but apparently version 0.7.0 does work, but no builds of mozilla firebird work.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm not sure what this problem is with having to reload pages, but I have not had that problem yet. Safari is the best browser I have used yet, and I rarely open any other, except to test load pages that I am creating. I can't wait to test it on Panther.

JW

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
safari on panther is amazing. scrolling seems to be improved, and not to mention...the only other browser that loads up is IE...:rolleyes:

Agreed, I've notice a considerable improvement with Safari on Panther. It's a lot quicker and seems to just flow a little smoother.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Safari 1.0 is really annoying, and I have to reload almost all webpages when I first open them. :(

But I still use it because I HATE Camino's tab implementation. Why are the in the center? Every time I make a new one or close another everything moves. Very stupid.

I was a longtime Camino user (OmniWeb before that) and resisted Safari when it first came out (I still get rid of that brushed metal look), but do you know what site Safari rendered well and Camino rendered "off"?

MacRumors

Of the dozen or so sites on my menubar, MacRumors was the only one that I noticed a difference in. Safari had just "gotten" tabs, and their wasn't going to be a speed hit, so BOOM, export the bookmarks, import the bookmarks.

At this point, I'm at least going to give it a serious test run. It's been good for me for most sites, but when something doesn't work right, I crack open IE, the gold standard (God help me) of internet browsers. If there's any browser that's going to run a site correctly, IE will do it.

The next time I have to go to CreativePro.com (which Safari can't handle), I'll give the most recent version of Camino a try before I go running to mommy.

It's a sweet browser... - j

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
The next time I have to go to CreativePro.com (which Safari can't handle)...

Hmmm, looks the same in Safari and Camino to me...what specifically are you referring to?

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Hmmm, looks the same in Safari and Camino to me...what specifically are you referring to?

Dag!

They look the same to me as well. I really don't remember what versions of each that I had running at the time. I think I've downloaded the latest Caminos without putting them through their paces. Just to "have them" (the contemporary file-swapping mantra).

I'll give it another shot. Rooting for the little guy is a Mac user's imperative. - j

Montano

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Sunny CA :)
I've been putting Camino through it's paces over the last couple weeks, and it performs perfectly for me. All Java apps work fine, printing works fine (Safari nightmare), eBay picture loading works fine, webpage refreshing works fine. I have yet to find something Camino can't do !! I also used to jump to IE when I needed certain things done, but now I just stay on Camino all the time :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.