Camino vs Firebird vs Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brother Michael, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Which one? Which one? Which one? I mean I suppose it is all about personal preference right? I mean on my Windows Machine and my Linux Machine I run Firefox. But what about for my Mac?

Well I guess for starters, can someone please explain to me the differences between all three of these browsers? It doesn't need to be indepth but just some general stuff (primarily between Camino and Firebird).

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You are not forced to make choice. You have Safari. You have Internet Explorer. You can download Camino and Firefox. Heck, download Mozilla, Opera, iCab, Shiira, and OmniWeb. Try them all. Use the browser(s) that work best for you. You do trust your own opinion, don't you? Look, the thing that you have to understand is that the Mac is not just another version of Windows. Mac apps don't fight each other. There are times when I have several browsers open simultaneously. You may choose any browser on your system as your default.

My best advice: Keep Safari because it is Apple's best effort. Keep Internet Explorer because there are some web sites that simply won't work with anything else. Of the other browsers that I have mentioned, feel free to test and use them at your leisure. If Safari or IE is not your cup of tea, one of the others might be.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I mainly use Firefox but have several available, including those you list. You need to keep Safari since internet preferences are accessed by Safari.
  4. aus_dave macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    I use Firefox and Safari simultaneously, each have their advantages. Safari has a better 'look and feel' but lately it seems to hang or show the spinning beachball more than it used to.

Firefox is faster IMHO but it isn't as nice to look at as Safari :cool:.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    When I use my Logitech MX300 mouse and Firefox, I can't access a link in a new tab using scroll-wheel click. On the Windows version, you can. In Safari, you can as well. Its quite annoying to have to press Apple+left click in order to go to a webpage in a new tab, so I just use Safari. :)
  6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've tried Camino, Firefox, and Omniweb, but I keep going back to Safari.
    On Camino it was a CPU hog, Firefox kept crashing and the current version of Omniweb doesn't have tabs(I know a beta is out of v5 that does but the tabs open up on a column on the side of the browser window and I don't like that)
  7. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Ok thank you, I may download FireFox then as well as my current line-up of browsers.

And I do like Safari, I was just curious if they were all the same, or if there were differences between them.

8. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    firefox is great. i use it quite often. the one safari feature that it is missing is spell checking in forms. i enjoy that feature in safari.

also- isync only works with safari's bookmarks. not with firefox. wish apple would fix that one, but i don't see it happening.
  9. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Apr 29, 2003
    me like firefox. easily skinnable. very secure. safari tends to crash a lot for some reason.
  10. abhijit_dixit macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2004
    Camino v/s FireFox

I always used FireFox on my Windows machine and when I switched, I stayed with FireFox. It works great on a Mac and is quite fast. There's a couple of bugs in its HTML rendering, but it's not specific to it's Mac version. Overall, really fast and full featured.

The one bad thing about FireFox is that it doesn't use a native Mac UI. So, form elements such as checkboxes or listboxes don't get control by tab navigating. I found that a bit cumbersome because in some of my regular websites, I'm used to navigating by just the keyboard and not use the mouse. Camino does this so I switched to Camino. Unfortunately, Camino doesn't support extensions as yet ... I'm sure it will soon though.

So, if you want to have a really small and fast browser, use Camino. If you really miss those extensions (Camino has the Google bar though), then go to FireFox. Also, I didn't see a JavaScript console in Camino.
  11. amake macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I find Firefox to be faster than Safari, especially when on dialup. Also, I love the extensions available for Firefox and Mozilla--Adblock and the Web Developer toolbar are must-haves. Firefox is definitely my favorite browser.
  12. cyclotron macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    Here you go

Don't you just love have no one answers your question? ... I had the same question and found the answer here (after finding your post first, so I came back).

Firefox (Mozilla)seems to be the browser only version of Mozilla

Mozillia is for web browsing, email, HTML editing, IRC chat, and more (sounds a lot like Netscape Communicator).

Camino (Mozilla) was made specifically for OSX. It seems to be very lean in features.

Safari is Built around the KHTML open source project. Apple (and third parties) are adding all kinds of plugins and extras.

It seems that Safari is unique in its compliance to XML/HTML4 compliant HTML library, with support for DOM, Java, JavaScript and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).

I have been using Camino. I like it over Safari. Yet, I miss the Apple features. I switched recently from using Explorer because Explorer seemed to be lagging. Maybe I'll use Safari when I upgrade to 10.3.x
  13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe, it's just that we've had another 5 - 10 of these threads already. ;)
  14. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    I use Safari as my main browser...

... IE to put stuff on eBay

... Firefox as a backup

on my SE/30 w. 7.5.1 I use iCab

works :)

15. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i personally can't tell any speed difference between the 3 at least not on broadband. therefore i just go by looks (i havn't had any problems yet with sites that are incompatible with any of them) so i use safari.

if anyway knows an easy way to personally test the speed of a browser that would be some helpful information
  16. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Can you not just hold down the left mouse button for a second to bring up the right-click menu? That's one of my favourite features in Firefox.