Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Feb 9, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I'm looking into Camino. I'd like some pluses and minuses.
    I had one heck of a time printing boarding passes out yesterday. Couldn't do it on Safari, and Explorer gave me fits too.
    Also, I was using the same printer that I use at home, but I had to re-find the printer???? What's with that?? This was with both Safari and MSIE
    Thanks.
    Frank

2. brap macrumors 68000

There are loads of threads on "Which browser is best"... in the end it all hinges on the user, and the application. Sometimes it's best to have an array of tools at your disposal (and use each to suit).. search around, perhaps. It's all been said before.

I'm a Firefox kinda guy myself, though. I've very rarely had to switch to another browser to make things work.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Download it and try it out... it costs nothing.

Doesn't stop you from going back to Safari or whatever if you don't like it...

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Camino is pretty good. It's from the Mozilla people, so as far as I can tell, it's standards-compliant and all that. It's pretty light weight, and not very system intensive, either. If a website has a custom icon, Camino will save it if you bookmark that site, which I like. One thing I don't like about Camino, is that if you click and hold down on a link, it won't open a submenu; you have to control-click on it. This trick does work in FireFox, Mozilla and Netscape ... go figure :confused: If Safari did this, I would love it forever. That, and if you could move tabs around, too.

5. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

It's the best all-round browser on OS X.

Try it. You might like it.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im forever switching back and forth between browsers, i cant decide which is the best personally, safari just isnt cutting it for me, it has a lag on some sites that is just plain annoying, i like camino, its fast and user friendly, although im not sure i like its bookmarking, i think im going to have to give firefox a long hard look and see how it is, i will probably settle with either camino or firefox in the end though

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>it has a lag on some sites that is just plain annoying,<,

I'm lately finding that Safari won't open pages that it used to open? Especially on business sites where I want to check posts or pay bills. Even here on macRumors, I'm starting to get "Safari can't open page" statements. Maybe my Safari is starting to go?? Not sure if that happens in the Apple World. Did all the time in the PC universe. Programs became corrupted?? I guess I'll have to play with Camino, et all. I hate to have too many items out there. It gets hard to remember where you have what stored.

Frank

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I use different browsers for different purposes. 90% of my browsing is done in Safari, because it has that nice Apple feel, but I also use Firefox a lot, and IE or Netscape when I have to. Camino is alright, but it's no better than Firefox in my eyes.

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I find it very annoying to have to use various browsers for various projects. But I understand the need. Maybe OSX Tiger will have some update to Safari that will cure all of this. It actually surprises me a bit that Apple hasn't worked on Safari more to cure these ills.

Frank

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i use camino all the time. its nice and quick, simple, looks nice and just does most things i want well!

try it, what can you loose by it?

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I've been testing out Firefox for the past few days now and I really like it. The main reason is the speed of it. I have become increasingly irritated by the length of time it takes Safari to redraw a page and position you to where you were.

For example if you hit the back arrow out of this thread back to the main MacRumors page Safari always seems to hang for a few secs and then position the page correctly, whereas Firefox is significantly faster.

The only downer is that it looks like a windows app, which disturbs me.

Vanilla

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Safari works fine on this end. There may be something going on with your business sites, but the browser is not coming apart at the seams.

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I installed Camino this morning. Pretty nice, but I don't really understand "tabbed" browsing. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on it???

Frank

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

basically tabbed browsing allows you to have multiple tabs/sites/pages open in the same browser window rather than having many windows open and cluttering your desktop. You can switch between tabs and close the ones you dont want any more, you can have it set so that when you click a link it opens in a new tab rather than a new window, its effective because it helps browse a bit easier

15. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded Firefox too, just to play with it. Is there a way to import Safari bookmarks into Firefox??

Frank

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes...Two options: 1) activate the Safari debug menu and export the bookmarks as an HTML file, or 2) download the utility that automates the process.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11550