Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by actripxl, Jun 25, 2005.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Just downloaded Camino and this is my new default browser since Safari still has some problems. I know im not the only one but how many and how often do you guys have Safari just run up your cpu to almost a stand still? Apple should really fix this because it get annoying to find a website and then close Safari and use another browser for the same site.

2. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

What took you so long goin Camino crazy? I swear by it myself. But the funny thing is....its a swear word in hindi! A really rude one too!

3. roadapple macrumors regular

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

That's funny!

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've been a Camino user since its fairly early days, and still am (nice that 0.9 is finally putting the benefits of all the nightly builds since 0.8 in a more "friendly" format), but I actually haven't had any real issues with Safari--I use it periodically for a few sites, and it always works fine for me.

The spellcheck is a kicker, though--almost as annoying as the slow text imput issue where typing will lag if you try to type a lot of text in a Camino textbox... which I'm just noticing seems to be improved in the 0.9 alpha, but perhaps it's too soon to tell.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

The built-in banner ad blocking is great! Every time I use another browser I'm shocked by how obnoxious banner ads are after you're used to them being gone!:D I love Camino.

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Camino means B******S in hindi/urdu. Maybe its a statement to all other browsers?? hmmm??

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Too funny! I didn't know that. As another perspective, from the Camino faq:

But I think yours is better. :D I guess, to the enlightened mind, though, even bs is a potential source of spiritual awakening. :)

9. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I don't think that was the intention of the creators!!! :D BTW, the actual word you refer to in Hindi/Urdu has a nasal 'n' sound at the end (more like 'caminon') - the pronunciation is also a bit different from the actual English pronunciation.

10. MaCaDDiCT21 macrumors member

MaCaDDiCT21

I just downloaded Camino today..I love it.

I got tired of waiting for safari to load a page and it often put my iMac at a stand-still...

I also have firefox, but it takes forever to launch and even longer to load a page...

I am still a bit curious as to why it hasnt reached version 1.0, so far, I havent seen anything wrong or buggy with it...

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, I don't quite get this either; 0.8.0 was, so far as I can tell, feature-complete enough to call it a full, finished web browser. 0.9, though still in alpha due to bug issues, certainly has enough finished features to call a "1.0" version, unless it's on-the-side nicities like spellchecking and speedier text field input that's holding back the 1.0 version.

A look at their Roadmap shows that almost all the significant features are (at least as of the last update to it) intended for 0.9, not 1.0--Quartz text rendering, spellchecking, improved Flash behavior, etc. 1.0 pretty much just says "complete, stable version".

I guess that means that they're trying to make 0.9 the "finished" version, and then just make sure it's really stable before putting out a 1.0 update. Either that, or some of the features won't make it into 0.9, so they're leaving room before 1.0 to finish them.

Hey, here's a question that I haven't been using 0.9a1 long enough to figure out yet: Has the "blank page" bug been fixed? It would cause some pages (particularly Google results) to not draw unless the window was scrolled or resized slightly.

12. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I do know that they plan 1.0 to be a more "final" version than .7, or .8 have been (or .9 will be), but I'm not sure exactly what this entails. Probably a bit of polishing in the areas you mentioned, along with more stability. As it is, Camino is very stable, but it does crash occassionally. That's my guess. I think there's a roadmap somewhere on the site.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Camino's Roadmap

Enlightening. I had always thought that implementation of (at least some) FF plugins stood between Camino and 1.0 status. But I guess that is not part of the roadmap at all.

14. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Thanks for that link. As far as I'm concerned, the only "necessary" plugin from FF is the AdBlock, which is implimented for the .9a1 release (and presumably will be in .9). So they're all set on that front in my book. Still, extendability with plugins would be cool (although there are already a couple of indispensable 3rd party preference panes out there).

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooooh, that's the only one I want, too... 'Twill be a tough call, Camino, FF1.1 and Safari 2....

16. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, you know that AdBlock's capabilities are implemented as a checkbox in the preferences in the .9a1 release or recent nightly builds, right? It's great! :D

Edit: Oh, and RE: Safari 2, I heard (on the Camino Forums) that RSS capabilities are planned for the 1.0 release :D

17. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
  18. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hats off to this dude for posting that link! My camino has just gone into warp 10! Wow its quick now!

19. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yeah, safari is killing me CPU wise.

Attached Files:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I'll take the plunge. I just d/l'd an optimized copy (thanks, WRC! :)) and I'm playing around with it. So far, I am duly impressed. A couple of questions -- sorry if they've been asked before, while I wasn't paying attention to Camino:

1) Is spell checking still on the to-be-implemented list, even for the 0.9 betas? I don't seem to see it.

2) Does anyone else have slow text entry in textboxes? It seems pretty bad to me -- reminiscent of when the settings were out of wack with TBE in Firefox. Without TBE in FF or in Safari, I don't have this issue.

3) I wish there were an easier way to get all of the search sites added back that I went to so much trouble to add in FF and Safari/AcidSearch.... :( I wish someone would standardize this process. Although, to give credit, Camino's setup is simple enough that it should be amenable eventually to a graphical interface like in AcidSearch. And it is *sooo much easier* to add a search engine in AcidSearch that isn't widely used, than to write a searchplugin!

This slow text thing is really awful, though.... What am I doing wrong? I am running the G4/7450 beta on my iBook G4.

21. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    1) yes, spell checking is still on the to-do list, and will probably be a while before it's done

2) i believe that it is a known problem when there is a text input on the same page as an animated gif, I get it too, and I hope it gets fixed soon

3) I believe there is a program that makes it easier to add the search options, but I haven't used it. Try searching the mozillazine camino forum for it.

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Safari kills my CPU on my G3, so at first FF was the fix, but now Camino is that computer's main browser.

23. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

my mini has trouble handling safari too. Caminos ma main browser now

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks! :) I think this one is enough for me to hold off on Camino for the time being. But having ignored it all this time, I do have to say that it seems like a very, very nice piece of work, with a lot of potential. :)

25. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just wondering, how do you get that to display in the menu bar?