Camino

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmanny, Feb 18, 2007.

1. macmanny macrumors newbie

How does Camino compair to Safari and can Camino be customized to look like Safari or Shiira web browsers?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

http://pimpmycamino.com/ is a great resource for camino extensions. Its not for me, but download it and give it a go, some love the speed.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I use Camino full time. Personally I think it's the best browser available for Mac, but there are many who use features of Safari or Firefox that Camino lacks who would disagree. I can't really say more than that, just that I use it heavily and absolutely love it :)

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

For me, Camino is a very zippy and quick browser. I feel that Safari just loves to give me a white screen while everything loads before showing me the contents of any given page. With Camino, it's just bam! Instant gratification.

And while it's true that it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as it's cousin, Firefox, it's MEANT to be a simple, yet powerful browser focused on speed and security. Give it a try!

5. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

for me its much faster than other browser on the mac

6. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

7. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I also recommend Camino, it's a simple and effective browser and looks & feels much more 'OSX' than Firefox. Whilst it does lack some good features of Firefox, such as in-house spell checking, and the OS integration of Safari, I still think it is superior than both those browsers put together. Either way, I have all three installed!

8. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Also, a big plus for me is that Camino is very effective at stopping annoying adverts. I've never experienced a flash popup so far :)

9. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I alternate between to the two. Some websites I view that have applets don't play very nice with Camino. For example, when I am listening to Sirius online. Other than that, I like Camino and it works very well. It's much quicker than Safari and doesn't take up as much memory while using it.:apple:

10. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

As some have pointed out, Camino is a great browser if you're interested in speed. I use Camino full time, primarily because I like zipping along to different websites. Firefox is great for extensions (I have it installed also), but since it runs slower than Camino I don't use it too often anymore.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I like Camino (and it's the only alternative to Safari I have on my 'puter) but for whatever reason, I won't switch to it full time just yet. I guess some parts of it just don't feel quite right to me...who knows, I'm probably being overly picky.

Maybe when 1.1 gets out of beta....this session saving feature might be the feature I *need* to have.

12. rksprst macrumors member

I always found that Safari was a bit slow and after long use it would start to freeze up. Firefox didn't do this but was a bit slow as well.

I just installed the webkit nightly (webkit.org) and I have to say that safari has run great since then. All the "problems" I had seem to be gone.

That said I also am running the firefox nightly and it looks and runs pretty good as well. Though I do like safari more just cause its integrated more and its designed by apple :)

So I suggest everyone try out the webkit nightly or the new firefox nightly (which btw uses os x widgets).

13. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

1.1b has as-you-type spell-checking linked into the OS X dictionary; it seems very stable for a beta release. Definitely worth a try (it is free after all).

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Camino is a wonderful browser especially for slower systems running OS X. I routinely used Camino on my G3 iMac, seeing as it didn't act as slow as both Safari and Firefox. If you're running Tiger or Panther on a slow G4 or G3, give Camino a try. :)