Campers Already Setting Up for iPhone 5S/5C Launch at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Apple's media event still four days away and the launch of new iPhone hardware likely two weeks away, campers are already starting to line up at the company's flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan.

While early lineups are frequently done as promotional stunts rather than campers arriving simply as devoted fans, with some early campers at past launches even receiving sponsorships to promote brands while they wait, it seems that the bar is continually being raised with campers now arriving even before Apple has announced anything.

Two representatives from Cincinnati-based SellYourMac arrived on the scene today to begin what they hope will be a two-week campout, only to find that they were not the first people in line at the Fifth Avenue store, which generally serves as one of the most high-profile launch sites due to its iconic design and 24-hour operation. Two other campers claimed their spots at the front of the line last night, settling in for the long wait.

[​IMG]
    According to Sell Your Mac's Jon Murphy, the campers have yet to have any discussions with Apple's store staff about their plans, but the line is forming in its usual spot on the plaza outside the store's landmark glass cube.

Apple's media event is scheduled for next Tuesday, with rumors and speculation pointing to a launch of the iPhone 5S and 5C in the United States and other first-wave countries on Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Campers Already Setting Up for iPhone 5S/5C Launch at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

A long wait for many.

3. macrumors 6502

It's Occupy Apple

4. macrumors 6502

Are they allowed to sleep on the street for 2 weeks?

5. macrumors 68000

1080p

Guys... this isn't 2007/8 anymore... you can order your iPhones online and have them on your doorstep on launch day now.

6. macrumors 68000

Just... Why???

7. macrumors 65816

It's the same wait for everyone, it's just some people decide to spend it on the street whilst the sensible folk have it delivered to their nice warm home.

8. macrumors regular

no... just no. Hope they have a new MBA to use during the day :)

9. macrumors 68020

So these people are camping for a product that (technically) doesn't exist yet, have no idea what the (official) features are, and may or may not (probably may) launch 2 weeks from now? o_O

10. macrumors 6502

No problem guys. Well work for you to live off our earnings.

11. macrumors member

Like The Buggles (kinda) said:
    internet killed the Apple launch star.

12. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Yeah, just getting mine delivered too. Love the free food and drink, but I live with other people, and I don't drive. :eek:

13. macrumors 6502

Prototypical

So THIS is what you do when you're an unemployed trust fund baby...

14. macrumors 68020

Stupid people, haven't they got anything better to do. Are they going to camp there until 20 Sept?

15. macrumors regular

Some of us get called die hard fan boys for defending Apple against trolls who lack common sense. These guys take it to a whole new level.

16. macrumors 68020

samh004

Unless, somehow, they launch on the day of the announcement, in which case your postal service would have to be amazing to get it to your doorstep same day!

17. macrumors 68000

they must really want to be the first one ever to get whatever new product is announced :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Makes no sense. These people are either unemployed & on benefits (and are therefore having their iPhones payed for by us) or are using their vacation time to spend a fortnight outside a feckin' building?

Idiots.

19. macrumors regular

These lines just never fail to crack me up. I mean I like Apple but really?

20. macrumors regular

In related news, the average IQ in the US just dropped 5 points.

21. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

That's just IGNUNT.

22. macrumors 6502

ONE DAY, this will be me. TODAY, I'm stuck in Calc Class :/

23. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Stunt. And it worked! To what end, I can't say though. I'll resist making personal attacks, but I'd avoid buying from a company that has to resort to such nonsense.

24. macrumors 68000

They win guys.
    We are talking about them

25. ikir, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

macrumors 6502a

It could be stupid but nobody is waiting in line for Samsung products... And they get crazy about that!