Camping decision.

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 12, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, so today I did my research, stopping at Target, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart. While not all could give me exact numbers, each is going to get around ten PS3's, give or take a few.

I also know CompUSA is getting PS3's at launch but we haven't been given a SKU yet so I can't check availability (I work there).

Wal-Mart is the only one doing a midnight launch.

I asked one of the workers how the launch would be handled. He told me at 9 PM on the 16th they would call out over the loudspeaker to announce where the line would be held, and everyone who made it in line would be given a ticket. Once you have the ticket, you just have to stay in the store till midnight, and you get a PS3.

Nobody will know where the line is going to be held until it is announced.

I figure that there will be a sudden rush as soon as it is announced over the loudspeaker, and the first to get there are the first to get a PS3.

Meanwhile, Best Buy, CompUSA, and Target will mean sleeping in below-freezing temperatures. It will be COLD and very likely a health hazard. My car is already frosted over every morning.

I have one or two friends who might come with me, so we could possibly disperse around Wal-Mart...

Where would you go?

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I called my Wal-Mart and they're going to, when the night manager comes in, about 10 or 11, hand out numbered tickets to get in the main line when it's midnight. I would go to Wal-Mart. :D

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Get a cane, act like you need will you wait, but run once they say were the line is(maybe try and run with a limp? but still fast!)...some people should be nice to you(I'm sure some will still push if need be) but then you can hit them with it!

Or is that moral bankrupt?:D

4. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

The best buy near me is getting 10-30 and I am going there on wednesday nite to set up tent to get ready...going to sit there for around 40 hrs to get one...

check out ps3seeker.com, they got the lowdown on alot of this stuffff..

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i heard US Bestbuy's were getting 26 (20 60gb, 6 20gb) each...but maybe that was just a rumor?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That what the ads said...

7. aholden12592 macrumors regular

8. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Walmart sounds pretty good...shortest wait. For me, I wouldn't even have to take off work Thurs/Fri, which is a big plus.

Does anybody know about Sam's club??

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

For a PS3? Why didn't you preorder one? I thought you had connections?

Plus, if you work at CompUSA that would seem like a slam-dunk. :boggle:

I guess I'm dense or something, but there's no "magic formula" for getting a launch-day console. It varies a great deal by your location. In Utah, for example, I've had excellent luck at Circuit City. They get large numbers and apparently people just don't think about them.

I got my 360 -- after GameStop screwed me over -- online via Sears of all places. Add overnight shipping and I had a 360 on launch day. No lines. No waiting. No BS.

Oh, the local Costcos had 360s on the shelves to walk in and pick up launch day +1.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The Sunday Best Buy ad in Chicago did say "minimum 20 60GB and 6 20GB per store." Best Buy will begin handing out numbered tickets to people in line at 7AM and open at 8AM....all according to the ad. Everyone with a ticket will get one.

11. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was stupid and missed the PS3 preorder. After I saw the eBay prices I let out a big "d'oh!" and made sure I at least caught the Wii preorder.

We don't have a SKU for the system yet so I can't check availability and I don't believe there's any way for an employee to guarantee they get one. I'll grovel to my manager though.
    Interesting, I'll give each of those a shot the next morning (if I can get more than one PS3, I'll get them and sell each; if I can sell two PS3's I'll have enough money to buy all three consoles AND a HDTV to play them on :D If I had the money I would certainly own all three ).

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't worry. Want to make money after the launch of the PS3? sell to Europe. If you could get 5, bring them over personally on a plane you would still make a profit. Remember, we're getting our PS3's in MARCH at the earliest. People will pay a fortune to bring them over. especially with the closure of the most popular import line (LikSang).

13. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, Wal-Mart is getting approx. ten but nobody can give me exact numbers. Best Buy is getting a minimum of 26, straight from the manager's mouth.

I think I might go Thursday morning and spend the night at Best Buy for PS3.

14. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Argh! I went straight after work to camp. Best Buy has 26 campers already. Target is getting 8 and has 8 campers. Shopko is getting 2 and has 2 campers.

However, there is another Target and Shopko some distance from here that are not allowing lines until closing Thursday night (10 PM), and the local Circuit City had rowdy people in line so dispersed the line and aren't allowing any more lines until 9 PM Thursday night.

How should I handle that? Show up at 8:30 on Thursday night, if I'm not in the front of the line run to Target?

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Me? None... Get yourself a 360...

On the other hand, if you just must have a PS3, wait 2 months and get one with your staff discount.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Praxis, what launch game is driving your decision to get a PS3? Personally, I'll buy one as soon as I see one available, but I'm not waiting in a line [unless that is still the case when MGS4 is released].

17. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I intend to sell the PS3 on eBay and use the money made to buy a HDTV and another PS3 in two months :)

Everyone keeps telling me that without a HDTV you can't get the full effect of the new systems, and I can't honestly find any PS3 launch titles I want. On the other hand, I CAN resell one for $2500. I'm a low-budget college student so normally I could never afford a PS3, but if I make that kind of a profit, I can (or a 360, we'll see, but I'm leaning toward PS3 because of Square Enix support).

18. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

19. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I started at 9:30 PM Wednesday night (when I got off work), and had a five hour sleep break in between.

By afternoon today I had gone to every single retail store in a thirty mile radius. Everything. Best Buy, Circuit City, ShopKo, Target, Wal-Mart, etc, etc.

ShopKo irritated the heck out of me. I got there at opening and spoke with a manager. He told me that their official policy was any campers before closing would be sent away, but then said if I wanted I could start a line when it got dark. Meanwhile, I knew one Wal-Mart was not allowing lines (they threatened to call the police on the people in line) and would hold a lottery at 10 AM, so I rushed back for it. I made the lottery but didn't win, then I rushed back to shopko- on the way, I drove through a fast food joint and got some tacos and ate while I drove.

Two guys from the Wal-Mart just beat me and somehow convinced the manager to let them camp. ShopKo only got two systems.

I was polite, but I really wanted to smack the manager right then and there, because I was there before any of these idiots and he sent me away.

Anyway, I was out all day and went EVERYWHERE. Most stores had twice as many campers as they had systems :(