Camping in the UK - 2006

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StokeLee, Feb 8, 2006.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Hi,

Me and some friends, about 8 of us are going to go camping this summer, somewhere in the uk. Weve got it down to 3 main areas, the lake district, wales, and cornwall/devon.

We want somewhere where theres not too many kids, a decent pub, and maybe something going on, I.E a beer festival, etc.

Its a mixed group, some couples, some singles, so from the few campsite guides ive looked at we should get in most places.

The feed back from my mates suggest that they would love to be by the sea, or a lake, swimming maybe ??

We could be tempted to stray out of our three areas, but were all from stoke, and it would only be the weekend, friday to sunday night, maybe Monday if we snag a bank holiday.

Any Suggestions warmly appreciated, websites, emails etc

Lee

2. tidymeup macrumors newbie

They are all fantastic locations however I love the scenery in wales and their are some great beaches that never get crowded.

3. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Where abouts in Wales are these beaches? And whats in the local area?

Do share :p dont keep them to yourself, I promise I wont tell anyone except the people im going there with.:D

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

OK - I can help :)

the lake district is AMAZING for camping - i used to live in cornwall and if you want nice beaches and old people then thats pretty cool - if you want amazingness then wales and lakes are great - the welsh valleys are nice but i still think the lakes in early morning is one of the best places ive ever been in my life.

There is a place i go too twice a year called 'low wray campsite' it is right on the lake (windermere). I could through a stone from my tent into windermere - its awesome... not far from everywhere so you can take a bus or short car ride to most of the good lakes (ullswater is really nice)

[​IMG]

thats the tent - it doesnt look as close to the water as it actually was (10 metres)

5. tidymeup macrumors newbie

Personaly I love to camp in harlech it's quiet and has a lovely beach and it's only a short distance by train the other towns.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

7. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

My Camping Trip 2006

It was fantastic, but it didnt go to plan.

We decided to go to Shell Island. its in Wales near Barmouth. But unfortunately when we got there it was full :( so we went on to another really small family run cmp site near harliech castle (excuse the spelling ill amend it all later.)

It was so windy when we started to put the tent up, but in the end it was well worth it.

Check out here for the photos. ( Camping Photos )

I got a few good sunset shots, and the view from the castle, and the hill behind the campsite was amazing.

So what does everyone else like, love, hate about camping?

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I love camping. Campfire cooking, sleeping under the stars, fishing, no electronics, exploring. The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to take a hot shower in the morning.

We're going camping at High Point State Park in NJ in a few weeks and I can't wait. My kids have never been and I think they will have a blast.

Anyone have any recommendations for a tent? Should sleep 4-6 for 2 adults and 2 kids. :)

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You might want to consider Llangennith, in the Gower. The campsite has direct access to the beach, which is just over dunes at the bottom of the campsite, showers and a restaurant, good surfing, mountain walks, there's a nice pub in the village, and it has a stunning sunset. Plus your within a short distance of all of the other beaches along the Gower peninsula.

What more could you want? :D

10. pyewhacker macrumors newbie