Can 2 Macs Connect from 2 Different Locations?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AJ Muni, Jan 25, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I have an iMac at my dads house and a powerbook with me at my house...is there anyway we can connect with each other from 2 different locations??? and if so how???? just to share files like pictures and mp3's ????

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The only thing I can think of is if you have a .mac account use the idisk feature.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You can send files back and forth over iChat by just dragging them to each others' names.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I use SKYPE (www.skype.com) to occasionally do similar Xfers with PC users, works well, encrypted too.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you have an account at an ISP that you don't mind sharing the password with Dad, then you can upload files to a "web" directory with an FTP program and just use that as a storage spot.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You can enable FTP access in sharing preferences on one (or both) Macs, the use FTP to transfer files. You'll have to forward the correct port (21 for FTP IIRC) at the router(s).

7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

The FTP ability in sharing would do the trick from what I hear. However, I have yet to accomplish that. If anyone can share the knowledge on this topic, i'm on the same boat as he is.

I have iMovie files that I convert to .mov files and change to .avi's. I hate waiting for the transfer on AIM or iChat for comp to comp... so FTP would help. Any details on how to after i check the FTP enable in Sharing?

8. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

...I think it's a thing called E-MAIL...but I'm not too sure....!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    R

9. howesey macrumors 6502a

Setup a VPN (virtual private network), you can then connect two networks or compters over the internet from two locations and will act as one network like you would have at home.

10. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

duh duh duh...

thats exactly what i was looking for...its to transfer idvd movie projects, and programs which are too big for email....now if i only knew how to setp a VPN....

11. Arcus macrumors 6502a

There is a great VPN program for PC :

http:\\hamachi.cc

I use this thing constantly. Great way to super easily set up a VPN between computers no matter where they are. From what I am told there is a Mac version coming. Best of all it Free!!!!!!

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Try http://www.hamachi.cc/ - it's a VPN-like solution. I heard about it on Leo LaPorte/Steve Gibson's podcast, Security Now.

I've used it with two PCs and it works fine even through my NAT router.

There's no nice GUI for Mac OSX though, it's all command line. There's a very active Mac forum on that site.

Edit: Damn, Arcus got there first while I was looking up the website probably. Like I said, there is a Mac version, but terminal only.