Can 24" iMac be used as screen later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kazman, Oct 24, 2006.

1. kazman macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am currently debating between buying a new macbook pro or a 24" iMac. The 24" screen is awesome, but it will be such a waste when the rest of the computer is outdated. There's no DVI input, but is there someway I could rig up another computer to the screen in the future? Is there a way to get to the plus from the motherboard to the screen? I don't know too much about what the iMacs are like inside, so any help would be appreciated.

2. bluewire macrumors member

2' iMac owner here...

to my knowledge, no...there are no ways to turn it into a regular monitor.

I don't anticipate this computer ever being very obsolete tho, maybe technologically speaking but it will still find a use for me (at the very least) through buying maybe a cheap USB tv tuner extension...or turning it into a kid's computer maybe 5 years from now.

This thing is very fast. I recommend it if you are looking for a desktop (not Mac Pro)

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

no, you will need to buy a mac mini or mac pro.
    there are good mac pro's avail already on refurbished.
    if you want upgradability or to use monitor later... there you go.

those are the options today. wish apple had a midrange tower avail. something upgradeable.

Also, you may just want to sell the imac when you want to upgrade to a newer model

5. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

6. kazman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the feedback guys, I think i'll just go ahead and get the 24". maybe in the future they'll develop a good wireless way to use it as a 2nd monitor. at least I can always watch movies on it.

7. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Unless you really f-ed up your machine, no matter HOW old it gets, even in 15 years, you should still be able to watch DVDs on it. Only thing is they won't be producing DVD formatted discs :D - you'll have to buy an external Blu-Ray or HD DVD drive. They'll be cheap in the future.