Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Hi all.

I'm very tempted by the slick slot-loading BR burner for the Mini, even at $1k. But, I know that HD material requires a lot of horsepower and DRM appeasement to play properly. Plus, I know the Mini doesn't have the best GFX power apple has to offer.

Is the Mini useful as a BR player? Or else, what is the sense of the drive?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No. OS X doesn't have HDCP, so you can't play Blu-ray or HD DVD movies. That's okay, since physical media is dead for audiovisual purposes. It will burn data for backups with the appropriate software.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Hahahaha. Ahahahahahahaha. Haaaaaahaaahahahahahaaaaaaa. Ha ha. Ha

Yeah, I totally love people with a sense of humor. :rolleyes: Makes the forums so much more fun!

So, I *CAN* use BR under Windows, but not OSX? Not quite what I was hoping for, but a reasonable compromise. Please tell me there's a way I can do it under XP, I'm in the process of de-Vistaing my house.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hahahaha. Ahahahahahahaha. Haaaaaahaaahahahahahaaaaaaa. Ha ha. Ha

Ha ha.

Ha.

Ahh.

I'm sorry, what?

Physical media, i.e. tapes and DVDs, are dead. Great for cameras, but that's about it. BluRay disks will never hit the kind of numbers for films (rental and purchase) that tapes and DVDs did. The optical disc is going away and the tape is long gone as a format for distributing media.

You probably reacted this way when the iMac came without a floppy too.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Physical media, i.e. tapes and DVDs, are dead. Great for cameras, but that's about it. BluRay disks will never hit the kind of numbers for films (rental and purchase) that tapes and DVDs did.

This argument has been done to death and I really don't want to get into it here. FWIW, I think the "end of physical media" has been greatly overstated, and I have a lot of reasons for liking BR. If you disagree, that's cool, but I'm not looking to be converted. :cool:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ive never seen anyone actually say physical media is dead.

Honestly, what are you smoking?

Magnetic/Digital is not as good as physical/analog for archival purposes.

When the internet is down, where you gonna get your "media-less" media from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.