Can a Christian please answer something for me.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 8, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So today, I'm driving home from class. I go to college in Rolla, Missouri. A poor, white trash, conservative hellhole. There is some guy on the side of the road, walking back and forth with a giant cross, yelling out some jesus mumbo-jumbo, and wearing a blindfold that says jesus on it (smart thing to do on the side of a busy street :rolleyes: )

So, my question to any Christians here is....why? Why in the hell do your people find the need to do such stupid things...what gains does Christianity get by some [guy] standing on the side of the road, putting his life in danger, to yell things at passing cars? I don't remember "Thou must act like a dumbass to promote thy religion" as being one of the 10 commandments. And if their goal is to convert people, then why are they doing something that will only make more people hate them?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sounds like someone who's mentally ill and overdosed on iconography. not sure it's fair to claim him as a representative of christianity.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

he's doing it because he's human. people have all sorts of trouble, and even people that are christians are susceptible to mental illness (which is what this sounds like).

however, i will say that some people are called to do rather odd things for the gospel...

4. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

So today, I'm driving home from class. I go to college in State College, Pennsylvania. A middle-class, white, liberal hellhole. There is some guy on the side of the road, walking back and forth with a giant sign with an "O" on it, yelling out some athiest mumbo-jumbo, and wearing a blindfold that says "there is no god" on it (smart thing to do on the side of a busy street )

So, my question to any athiest here is....why? Why in the hell do your people find the need to do such stupid things...what gains does athiesm get by some [guy] standing on the side of the road, putting his life in danger, to yell things at passing cars? I don't remember "Thou must act like a dumbass to promote thy lack of religion" as being one of the 10 commandments. And if their goal is to "smarten" people, then why are they doing something that will only make more people hate them?

5. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I think the best person to ask is the man himself.
    I'm sure it would answer your questions.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Except atheists don't do that crap. We don't find the need to push our beliefs onto others :rolleyes:

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think a true Christian would have an answer to your question, yg.

Ask a fanatic instead. ;)

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Surely you can't judge a religion's people by the few who decide to make dumbasses out of themselves by promoting their religion in rather odd ways. Some people just get so overjoyed by being filled with the Holy Spirit and feel they need to do whatever is necessary to get other people to feel like that. I'm a Christian and I don't feel like I need to stand on a crate in the middle of the city shouting at people that they need to be saved, or to do some other outrageous stunt just to promote my religion. Jesus said to "go and make disciples of all nations." He didn't say how, so these people take it upon themselves to figure out how. It doesn't always work out that well, evidently. :eek:

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

And Christians do? Neither I nor any of the Christians I personally know have done anything like what you've originally posted. Just because you see a couple nuts doesn't really mean anything.

10. vniow macrumors G4

I've seen plenty of people do that and I immediately write them off as nuts because...well, they are. Its only that many of them use religion as their point of nuttiness with signs, crazy behaviours, etc.

On the other hand many self-professed Christians I've come into contact with in my lifetime who are otherwise sane, are pretty religious and do try to force their beliefs on others but in less obvious and more subversive ways. It seems to happen far more often in religions that promote evangelicalism.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've never seen an atheist (or an athiest for that matter) proselytizing in my life. Can't say the same about certain Christian varietials.

12. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

so by your logic...

So, my question to any American here is....why? Why in the hell do your people find the need to do such stupid things...what gains does America get by some [guy] standing on the side of the road, putting his life in danger, to yell things at passing cars? I don't remember "Thou must act like a dumbass to promote thy country" as being of the Constitution. And if their goal is to educate people, then why are they doing something that will only make more people hate them?

13. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

nor I.

and my understanding is that the "cross," as it is typically shown, is historically inaccurate. So it goes...

14. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Arguably, a lot of those people aren't Christian, even though they may claim to be. Take Jehovah's Witnesses for example - definitely not Christian, and (at least in my opinion) a pretty nutty bunch.

In any case, whether or not some of those people are Christian doesn't matter. The vast majority of Christians don't do anything close to the idiotic things the man in the OP's original story did.

I'm offended because the OP generalized all Christians in the same big lump with that crazy guy.

I can agree with your point that the man you saw was an idiot, and if he were Christian - he is one Christian idiot. But at the end of your post, you made a logical jump by applying that to general Christianity.

15. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

but have you any idea what are some of the things communism force its citizen to believe? its not just an individual, or individuals, but an entier government...

16. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I was going to laugh but I'm an American citizen :(

:p

17. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

haha, you don't literally think i meant it, do you

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As a Christian, you're supposed to testify to other about your enlightenment. The fundamentalist churches push it hard and, in my experience, will set up schedules and pick you up to put you at some store or street corner to look like a fool.

As one of the former faithful, I would sometimes say something about God when I felt particularly happy or blessed but I would never go out of my way to tell people about it because it was obnoxious. It's not as if Christianity is a hidden religion and people couldn't find a church.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Many Christians love to force their beliefs on others. Have you been asleep for the Bush administration? Their are tons of examples.

20. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

define force... invite to church counts? tell counts?

OMG, did the other guy just FORCE me to use a mac?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How about legislating your religious beliefs? That's seems like force to me. Our taxes are now being used to fund faith-based groups. That should not be legal, but they've done it anyway. And don't get me started on marriage amendments.

22. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The two key words there are "many" and "force".

Many does not mean most. And for whether or not "most" is true... I don't think it is, but there's no way to prove that. Might depend on community, but at least where I've lived, that's not the case.

"Force" may happen with some people. I've seen some people really push it hard on others. But most of the time, what I see is: Christian and non-Christian are friends, Christian friend invites non-Christian friend to church, non-Christian friend may or may not go/may or may not convert. If he doesn't convert, then the Christian friend might invite him again a few months later. (Because many churches have "newcomers nights" once or twice a year.)

Again, though, this probably varies from place to place. I just almost never see Christians force their beliefs on others. The only time I've seen it on my campus has been down near one of our campus buildings where there's this old nut preacher. Gives a bad name to Christianity, I think, because he's very forceful and radical. Otherwise, it's just a "Hey, you want to hang out on my church next Friday?" and it's left there, to my experience.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm not sure what this has to do with the price of coffee in Mecca.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How aobut legislating your atheist beliefs? Christians would say the same thing. How dare my tax dollars fund abortion clinics... ect...

25. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

You've seen him too? I saw him "preaching" to people in front of that s****y motel near TJ (the one with giant red letters out front) a few weeks ago. Maybe he makes rounds in this part of the state.

The thing that annoys me most about fundamentalist (if that's the right word) Christians is that if you tell them they won't change your mind, it only makes them try harder.