Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
So my dad's been complaining that his G5 has been getting slower and slower when dealing with Photoshop and the like. He blames it on me because I like to use his Superdrive for burning my multimedia DVDs. Is there any validity in this statement? Can a computer simply degreade and become slower as a result of use?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
goodtimes5 said:
So my dad's been complaining that his G5 has been getting slower and slower when dealing with Photoshop and the like. He blames it on me because I like to use his Superdrive for burning my multimedia DVDs. Is there any validity in this statement? Can a computer simply degreade and become slower as a result of use?

No.

He ought to run some maintenance scripts, repair permissions etc.

Is the hard drive full?

How much RAM do you have?

Give a little more info, maybe we can help.

What G5 is it?

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
111 gb out of 160 gb free.
1 gb of ram.
Dual 1.8 ghz.
Mainly used for digital photography work.

The stats and the nagging just don't relate inside my mind.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
He probably needs to repair permissions and rebuild the drive directory. Very simple tasks, but they can make a huge difference.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Repair permissions in Disk Utility

Open up Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder under Applications) and run:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic monthly
sudo periodic weekly
sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Also see how much cache he has in Safari, or whatever browser he is using.

You may also want to see how much RAM is eaten up in Activity Monitor - maybe he has a lot of apps running or a memory leak...

Gotta go pick up the BF - let us know how you make out!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dsharits said:
He probably needs to repair permissions and rebuild the drive directory. Very simple tasks, but they can make a huge difference.

What exactly does that mean? I only found a very small number of references to that googling, and they all seemed to involve Norton's utilities, which means I must NOT be in the right place. :eek: ;) :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Let's not forget the obvious: The more and more little extras that get installed, the more chances are that something will significantly slow down the machine. This doesn't so much refer to regular programs but all those cute little menu extras and so on that run all the time in the background. If there's anything like that, make it go away and see if the situation improves.

(One particularly well-known nasty, especially for Tiger, is Virex 7.5. It will eat up scads of resources and accomplish nothing.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.