Can a desktop osx be cloned to a laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dogbone, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I know that laptops have some bits of software that control certain aspects of the laptop that a desktop doesn't have, mainly to do with power management.

I'm going to switch from an emac to a powerbook and I was wondering if I will be able to do what i wanted to do which is...

Use superduper to clone my emac then put that whole clone onto the laptop and wipe the emac clean. I was hoping to have a clean transition with no other settings to adjust. Is this possible or am I going to run into some trouble because the OS I was using was for an emac and won't work properly on a laptop.
  2. islandman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    I would guess that it would work just fine. Apple is great at recognizing drivers and making hardware "just work". Let's wait and see what others have to say.
  3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    It should work, as you can boot one Mac off another via FireWire Target Disk mode. However, I think you would be better off starting from scratch. When you install OS X, it will optimise itself to run best on your hardware. At the moment, it's optimised to run on an eMac, wheras if you install it on a PowerBook, then it's going to run much faster.

Having said that, I'm not sure if OS X will have installed the correct software into your eMac to manage PowerBook fans etc. You might encounter problems there...
  4. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I would be suprised if that worked. Such a big difference in hardware.
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    well, there aren't any big difference between hardwares of apple desktop and laptop that can have effect on OS.
  6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Install the OS clean and then use the migration wizard. Done it several times, no problem.
  7. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I hear ya. :)

I have never used mac disc cloning software but with most "imaging" software the hardware does play a part. I could be way off here though.
  8. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    The key is PPC to PPC or Intel to Intel.

AFAIK, you cannot cross CPU family lines with a clone for it to work. But within the family, it works well.

For example, just recently I sent my PB15 in for repairs. I cloned the HD to an external FW drive. Then I connected the external FW drive to my PM933. I could boot off of the external FW drive and viola, my PB was right there. Of course I could boot the PM933 for the work I do on it. Anyway, basically I had a large PB (my PM933 with 22 inch Cinema Display) while my PB was being repaired.

And when the PB15 was returned, I just cloned back and I was up and running in no time.

Cloning on a Mac is so much nicer and easier than a PC! :)
  9. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    oh, of course, I forgot the PPC mac, lol,
  10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    uumm.......emac to pbk = ppc to ppc, yes ?
    so what does intel have to do with this operation, huummmmm :eek:
  11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    +1, Save yourself the hassle and do this instead. I have done at least 3 times including PPC to Intel with no issues. Obviously, I checked some of my apps if they had UB available or not afterwards.