Can A MacBook Printed Via Infrared?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobber205, Sep 15, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

My college library only allows infrared wireless printing.

Will I be able to access that? Is the infrared port in the headphone jack in the front?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i believe infrared port is the one in the front for the apple remote control.. but i dont know how you are suppose to print via that

3. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I think the front port is just for the Apple Remote but I'm not really sure. Seems that its just a reciever and you would need something that does both transmitting and recieving to print. Might be a question to check out on the Apple boards or to ask at your local Genius Bar.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No. There is no IR data port on any current Mac - the IR receiver is for the Apple Remote only.

You'll have to use a thumb drive or something.

Can't believe a library would still be using IR wireless printing in this day and age.

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. At a tech college no less.
    When you're wireless there, your not a local user, you're from the "outside".
    In our school, the library is "seperate" from the rest of campus, but for sm BS reason the main tech group wants us to have this setup...

BTW quick question. Flash drives that are formatted under windows work under XP and OS X right?

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Flash drives formatted as FAT32 will work on both, but OS X CANNOT write to NTFS formatted Drives...so make sure it's FAT32.

Also, Infrared in 2006? I don't know many laptops that still HAVE infrared. That's pretty stupid.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

BEGONE INFRARED!!

SPAWN THAT IS ALL EVIL AND DAMNED!

:p

Christ the amount of time i spent faffing around with my Seina Psion trying to get it to talk to my old 1st gen iMac.