Can A Pirated Copy of GB Effect its Performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubdub, Mar 13, 2004.

1. dubdub macrumors newbie

I had an earlier post about problem but this is different. My friend has an old 15 inch PowerBook, I think Its about a 1GHz, but he got a pirated copy or whatever you want to call it of GarageBand. It worked well until he actually used it. The performance was lacking, it froze alot. He doesn't really use the program that much because its almost useless.

-Can A pirated Copy of GarageBand have lacking performance and freeze alot?

Thanks.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says......tell "your friend" to go buy a real copy - it is not like it is expensive or anything - and reinstall...then you will know....oh yeah!

(note - asking for help with *your* pirated software is not cool and you not likely to get too much sympathy....)

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah really, i can understand if it was like final cut pro that cost a thousand dollars. but i mean come on, 49 dollars, and you get 4 more apps. just go buy it.

iJon

4. cjc343 macrumors 6502

There is built-in protection in GarageBand that makes pirated copies take over your computer and slowly melt the Hard Drive, Graphics card, and logic board. If you do not immediately format the hard drive, you will have 100% data and hardware loss. Do not back anything up or the problem will return, it has been built into the headers of ALL of your documents.

Naw, I'm just BS'ing you, go buy a fricking copy

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I don't want to sound like some software-pirate-nazi or anything, but even if it was Final Cut Pro for $1000 that should not make it any more condonable or understandable. Face it, the Mac is a "marginal" market (as much as I love it...) and every little bit of piracy does hurt. Just this week there have been stories in the online media about Mac game companies thinking twice about releasing titles because all the piracy has made it unprofitable for them....companies like Corel have ceased making any new Mac software....if we end up with no software, what is the point of having the hardware or the OS???.....oh yeah?

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think that's a record for your longest post ever.

As for your "friend", I have the feeling he can qualify for the educational price... $30! THAT"S REALLY CHEAP FOR WHAT YOU GET *hint hint*

So tell him to stop being a cheapass and buy the damn thing.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Quick someone get him another Duff!

lol @ cjc343. I think we need more humor like yours, IMO

8. briankonar macrumors regular

i can see people 's stance against pirating any software, but i'd like to make a little comment on this.

im a multimedia & web design student, and tuition at school is expensive enough as is. we use various forms of software from Maya to Final Cut, Photoshop and Dreamweaver and everything in between. I own most of my software (all the ones that i'll eventually use in my profression), however I don't own copies of either Final Cut or Maya. They are both very expensive, and I am far from advanced enough to actually use 9/10's of the programs features. I realize their are alternatives (FCE, Maya PLE, etc) but these both have plenty of reasons not to use them (showing anything but wireframes in Maya covers the image with text reading this is for personal use only, and when working on little details, this is far from annoying). I think in situations like this, where your still learning the ins and outs of the software, "pirating" can be acceptable, but if I ever do use them professionally, I'd be more than willing to fork over the cash.

9. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

IMHO I don't think pirating is ever acceptable. Would you mind someone stealing your car for the day as long as they brought it back?

That said, the software industry does set itself up for pirating.

They are getting better though. Like most vendors now provide fully-functional trial versions of their software now. Apple is still to join the club tho...

PS I ain't no angel and have been guilty in the past. I don't think I am now... I do try to avoid it since it's part of my job to enforce it!

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

As the others have said, get him to buy a copy. iLife 04 is well worth the money - one of the best value pieces of software you can get, even if you have iDVD 3, etc.

Pirating, in my opinion, is ALWAYS a bad thing because it is no less than stealing. There is nothing different between pirating some software and walking into a shop and taking an iPod, or whatever.

However, I do think that software companies, and in fact the music industry, have themselves partly to blame. I simply think that a lot of software is too much money. Sure, businesses can afford it, but people like students or ameteaur enthusiasts simply cannot afford the entry price or annual upgrade fees. If they lowered the price significantly, they would get a lot more sales and piracy would be lowered, so they'd probably get more profit anyway. Oh, and student discounts help but they still cost WAY too much.

11. dubdub thread starter macrumors newbie

I will, "my friend" has money, but he's cheap. It seems to be well worth it.

12. thecow macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that just make it easier to pirate software? You could just download the trial off of the internet and than get a patch or key to make it the full version.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Argh. Justifying stealing is a simple affair: just scream "I got no money!" and you convince yourself it's okay. It's not, so cut it out. Visit your labs to learn. If they don't allow after-school access, make it happen by convincing the administration.
    Now you'll have to excuse me. I'm going out today to learn how to golf. But since I can't afford greens fees I'm sneaking on to the course.

14. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Stealing is Wrong. Period.
    That said I agree that the big software companies are setting themselves up.
    They charge $500-$1000 for a Program they expect professionals to use and pay for. This price is above the heads of 99.99% of all students that would like to learn it and possibly make a career out of it.
    The professionals that are going to pay the $500-$1000 to use it as professionals have to start as students. This is a Catch22.
    Yes, there ARE some ways around it that are legal, but they aren't available to all students (like myself).

The Perfect scenario would be to have 2 identical versions of a program. One for professionals, and one for home (none profit) work. Then, somehow have the program tag the work and (for those that are looking) scream out electronically "I'm none profit!". In this way you can have the money making professionals using Maya (or whatever) for their large pay checks pay the very small $1000 work expense, and have those that are learning and use it at home (or education) use it for, say, $50 or $100.

I highly DOUBT that any student trying to learn these $500 apps are paying for them. In that case, how much more money would companies make if they offered a none handicapped (but tracked way) of selling a $50 program?

Just my take.

Tyler
    Earendil

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Actually that's quite an interesting idea. They could make profit they wouldn't normally make, and train a whole legion of followers. Of course there will always be pirates, but still....
    I'd patent the technology right away!

16. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I agree!

I agree. We have a class at school that uses lots of Pro apps, but we don't know how to use most of the features and the school won't pay for the other licenses or something, anyway, don't blame me for it, but we have to install the same license on each PB. This idea could be really profitable for students.

17. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Unfortunately, all this "just buy it" stuff is getting to be costly. Two OS X upgrades at $129 with another one coming and now OS X has lost the integrated applications that are now part of the separate iLife package. It would be better if Apple made all of its applications freely-available for non-commercial use and didn't separate the "iLife'd" applications from OS X. Paying money for the software would mean getting telephone support and other incentives, while people who just play with the software for fun could use it for free. If potential Switchers then saw all the free applications that they could have if they bought a Mac, Apple would make selling a lot easier.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Maya does have one of those already - Personal Learning Edition. Completely free but you get a watermark when you use it. Unfortunately I can't get the damn thing to install - the installer crashes after I choose the "alias folder" everythime, no matter what I choose. I've sent a bug report to Apple.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

oh, ok, so it's you?

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hehe, I'm surprised we all missed the old "my friend..." gag until now!!! :D

21. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Not quite what I meant. I want a fully functional none handicapped version for $50-$100 that is for none profit. Number of sales has something to do with price. But you can't tell me that the reason Maya/PS/FC are so highly priced isn't because Hollywood and major (read: rich) companies use them as their equipment.

The rest of the worlds software is sold to average people for $30-$70, why not the Art programs?

Tyler
    earendil

22. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...no we didn't - I thought my very first response in this thread was pretty clear that it obviously was him.....oh yeah!

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

True, apologies! I missed that as well! :D

24. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If you don't handicap the free version in some way (even something such as adding a watermark), how do you get any of the pros to actually buy it?

25. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

To answer the original question, no, a pirated copy of GB isn't crippled, unless you forgot to copy over the 1.81GB of extra files that GB installs (loops and instrument settings, etc.). :rolleyes: