Can a PowerBook take DDR2 RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EssentialParado, Jun 23, 2005.

1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I just read about how much more efficient Samsung DDR2 RAM is and thought it would be great for my PowerBook, but I have no idea if it's compatible. Does anyone know if I can use DDR2 RAM in a PowerBook, or if it'll work but be limited, etc?

Thanks,
    -Luke

2. TheSisko macrumors regular

No, you can't. Totally different pin configuration (plus other reasons).

3. witness macrumors 6502

No, just plane DDR 333.

Even if it did support it, the rest of the machine is probably not quick enough for you to notice a difference.

4. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh. Okay, thanks. Maybe you can suggest the most efficient (power / price) purchase I should make, then. Currently I have 2x256MB RAM chips that came with the PowerBook. I do video, graphics, some minor 3D work.

thanky
    -Luke

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume that you are in the UK (.uk domain). Scan were (and probably still are) selling 1Gb sticks that work great in PowerBooks (I've got one) for around £100. This will give you a massive boost in memory at a reasonable cost whilst leaving you the flexibility of buying another one at a later date!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1Gb Stick at Scan

This is the stick I was talking about. It's currently £103.74. Scan normally charge around £10 for delivery as well.

7. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that seems good - thanks.

I'm checking on the scan website now. There seems to be a few 1GB sticks... (just got your reply)... oh right. Yeah, I remember now, the PowerBook has strange little fat RAM cards. That one doesn't appear to be in stock right now. So is Scan the best place to buy from? (I've never heard of them before now) Not Ebuyer? Heh.

8. witness macrumors 6502

They usually charge £7 delivery for small items.

9. witness macrumors 6502

I got some cheap DDR memory for my PowerBook from ebuyer, ebuyer have just about the worst customer services though, so buying from then can be gamble, especially if anything goes wrong. Scan are usually very good (checkout today only).

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Those strange fat cards are SO-DIMM (SO stands for Small Outline iirc) and are pretty standard for laptop RAM. I normally buy stuff from scan as they are normally cheap and are reliable. I also like the fact that they will tell you if something is not in stock and are generally honest about it. If you can get a 1Gb PC2700 SODIMM elsewhere for a similar price then go for it!

11. orkle macrumors member

Hello,

This is my first post! :) Been registered for a little while now reading and now finally decided to take the plunge and dive in...

I found Orca Logic to be pretty good in the UK. Very fast too...

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/

HTH.

12. Chryx macrumors regular

I'm running one of these in my 12" 1.33Ghz Powerbook right now
    Crucial PC3200 1GB SoDimm for £90

Delivery is free from Crucial and their customer support is excellent, ergo I hearily recommend them.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow. That really is a great deal. If I did not already have 1.5Gb in my PowerBook I'd probably be ordering now. 2Gb does have a nice round sound to it though...

14. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

And they clock down ok? No reason why they shouldn't, but can't hurt to ask :)

If so i'm only £5 short :rolleyes:

15. Chryx macrumors regular

Sure, like I said, I've got on in the 12" 1.33Ghz I'm typing on right now.

system profiler has this to say about it:

DIMM1/J31:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2700U-30330

16. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Good enough for me, thanks :D

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Standard Advice: I recommend you order Mac RAM from a seller who tests and guarantees the RAM in your model Mac.

Yes you can get lucky with a generic module, but there are differences between Powerbooks. Crucial does not guarantee those modules for use in Macs -- if you use their product selector you will see that their Mac modules are more money. This is because the generic modules don't work in some Powerbooks, and they have to use a different build of module.

If you are a Mac Adept, you may be fine with experimenting and dealig with shipping and returns. But I wouldn't suggest it for a new Mac user.

18. Chryx macrumors regular

All the Mac model selector does it point you at the PC2700 SODimms, which are electrically the same, made to LOOSER timings... and cost more.

They are not 'specially designed for powerbook' sodimms by any intelligent measure.