Can a regular DVD drive read DVD-RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So far all the information I've found online has been concerning write support. I'm not looking to write to DVD-RAM, just read it. Is this possible with a regular DVD drive? It's a Panasonic/Matshita UJ-846, to be specific.

Edit: I found "Update for the DVD-RAM Driver Software for Windows XP" on Panasonic's site for the UJ-846, so it looks like it might at least be possible under Boot Camp.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You cannot write to DVD-RAM using a regular DVD drive. For one thing, a regular DVD drive cannot write. If the DVD-RAM disk has been finalized, then a regular DVD drive should be able to read it.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Got the discs today, they read fine (without finalising) :)

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, next question: How do I get the .vro files from the DVD onto my hard drive? Just dragging them across gives an error -50. I read that Toast 7 can copy the files, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Any ideas?

Note: Thread moved to the software forum as it is now a software-related question.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, it turns out that being able to see the files on the DVD does not actually indicate that your drive can read them. I bought a cheap DVD-RAM drive and hooked it up, and now I can get at the videos :)