Can a router recieve internet signal, or just send signals out?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Dec 23, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors newbie

I dont know about your router but I know that I have two airport express and they can be linked together to extend the range.

3. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Edit: Removed wise-@$$ remark - why? Because that is so simple - I must be misunderstanding entirely.

If you can see this website - you router is doing both - otherwise you would not be seeing this website.

I think you're asking something else on a level I cannot understand.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uh.. yeah. Why would I post a question just to waste bandwidth and everyone's (including myself) time?

I've always used wired connections. Sorry wii aren't as smart as you are.

5. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a wired connection now. But I need my PowerMac G5 (which doesn't have bluetooth or Airport card) to connect wirelessly to the apartment I'm moving into. I use a router now (that is wireless enabled but thus far has been used WITH wires) to connect my 360, PS3... but wasn't sure if in the apartment I could just use the router to receive the signal to my G5.

7. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

From wikipedia 802.11 search...

Wireless network bridges connect a wired network to a wireless network. This is different from an access point in the sense that an access point connects wireless devices to a wired network at the data-link layer. Two wireless bridges may be used to connect two wired networks over a wireless link, useful in situations where a wired connection may be unavailable, such as between two separate homes.

Also worth looking at is "ad hoc mode".

8. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well as your G5 doesn't have an airport card, the only way to go about things would be to wire your router to the G5 and also have a wireless signal going to your Xbox and PS3, since those do have wireless cards.

Or... I see. You could also create a wireless network from your wired G5 to send out a wireless signal to your router which would be connected to the game consoles. The G5 is capable of creating a wireless network, while the consoles, I presume, are not.

In any case, the G5 will have to be wired, because it doesn't have an airport card.

Is that right? I don't know if I completely understood your situation or not...

irmongoose

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Though SADLY it'll be a month or two til I have my 360 hooked up back to LIVE since I have to buy that gay $100 receiver. PS3 has wifi out of the box, 360 doesn't.

10. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

360 dosen't have wifi built in? That sucks.

FYI - it might be cheaper to get a WIFI USB dongle for your iMac than your 360 - might be worth checking the prices.

If the iMac is cheaper - run the 360 and PS3 wired - and run the iMac WIFI. Besides - Wired does do better for online gaming. (lower ping time and fewer drop outs - which can make games frustrating sometimes - COD4)

11. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You can probably buy an airport antenna for your G5 for less than $100.
    I assume your G5 is the one with the antennae?

irmongoose

12. macrumors 68000

Aperture

If you want to save a few bucks, try going for an "ethernet game adapter." Linksys, Belkin, & D-Link all have their own device... it is essentially a wireless to ethernet bridge. Although it isn't quite as pretty as the 360 adapter, it'll get the job done just fine.