Can a Sprint iPhone be activated on the Verizon network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDustiNN, Aug 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, as I don't really want to make a such an expensive gamble/purchase without knowing for sure.

I was looking at an iPhone 4 which the seller claimed had a bad ESN on Sprint. I checked the MEID on a free ESN checker website, and it confirmed that the ESN was indeed bad for Sprint. However, when I changed the check to Verizon, it said it was good. Then when I checked on Verizon's official Device Eligibility website, it did say "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network."

I know, I know, the first response would be, "So what's the problem?? Go for it!" right?

But I just want to confirm that this actually is possible, and not just some sort of glitch or something. I don't want to be stuck with a phone I can't activate.

Thanks in advance if anyone can share their experience :D

2. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

No.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Simple: Because a Sprint phone with a bad ESN is cheaper than a Verizon phone with a good ESN, of course.

6. macrumors demi-god

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Have you experienced this? Or did you read the post explaining that the Verizon site said it was good, hence my question and why I was concerned?

----------

It usually means the owner has a delinquent account (owes money, broke contract early and didn't pay ETF, etc). However it can also mean a phone was reported lost or stolen.

8. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Not directly. But I do know Verizon will not activate a Sprint cellphone and vice-versa. In fact, all US carriers will refuse to activate a 4S if purchased on another network (despite the fact the 4S supports GSM & CDMA networks and is fully compatible). It's crappy & I really hope this changes.

9. macrumors 6502a

Speaking just for me - I'd rather pay a little more, and know what I'm getting is going to actually work, than try to get a bargain and wonder if it's going to work.

But hey - maybe that's just me . . .

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Hmm, I see... Well the phone in question was an iPhone 4, so it's just CDMA of course... Maybe that could make the difference? When searching a bit on Google, I did see the same thing you just mentioned about the 4S, but I wasn't able to find any answers about the 4, so that's why I asked here. I really don't know. I was just hoping someone else had tried it or something :)

----------

Oh I understand that completely, and I'm the same way. That's why I posted here, just looking for definitive confirmation either way haha. But a $100 difference is pretty substantial if they're actually the same phone :D

11. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's for any phone. I just used the iPhone 4S as an example because it is fully compatible to run on any network & carriers still refuse it (as in, carriers can't use excuses like 'it won't work properly on our network').