Can AAC really stop piracy?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chewbaccapits, Apr 30, 2003.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    My thing is how FORTIFIED is this copy protection? Remember the Celion Dion "protected" CD? All it took was to use a marker to bypass the security feature. There probably will be a work around for Apple's new venture, which if it does or, better yet, when it does will it be considered APPLE's fault? Or a failure?
  2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Re: Can AAC really stop piracy?

Well, in my opinion people will get around pretty soon, but who cares i dont think apple really will but the record companies probably will.
  3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    there is no such thing as STOPPING piracy. what Apple seems to understand is that not everyone is a pirate. in fact most people aren't. they are just the average consumer who views ease of use as the most important aspect of software. Apple knows that, by making piracy a pain in the butt to do, it will curtail a large percentage of the problem.
  4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Locks are only designed to stop honest people.
  5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Piracy will continue. People who simply do not want to pay for music or movies will try to get it for free one way or another--either through the Internet or just borrowing a friend's CD/DVD. My friend is such a person: he has never bought a CD because he just doesn't listen to music all that often. However, when he does want a song, he just borrows someone else's album or finds it online.

What really hurts the entertainment industry, IMHO, are not casual pirates who download their songs or movies off of Kazaa. It is the hardcore for-profit pirates that have their own stamping factories churning out fake and knock-off CDs. In China for instance, you can get virtually any CD for about 8 kuai (8 kuai = 1 buck). It's just a copy of the cover art and a CD in a plastic bag. You can get a real CD with the case, the linear notes, etc. for about 60 kuai ($7.50). However, there are instances where a pirated copy is sold as a real copy--software has been pirated in such a manner and such copies are even more dangerous.