Can Airport Express be used without wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuperJoe, May 5, 2005.

1. SuperJoe macrumors newbie

I have a Windows network that is 100% wired. Since buying an iPod and ripping all of my CD's to my hard drive, I want to play them on my stereo. The Airport Express seems to be the best way to integrate the two, but without a wireless network, will it work? I can't tell if the Ethernet port is only for DSL/Cable or if I can connect it to my network.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

It seems to me that if you don't have a wireless network, the easiest way to connect to the stereo is from the headphone jack of the computer. Seems like a waste of $130 just to connect to a stereo.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can connect any network cable to the AE - it doesn't need to be from a DSL/cable modem. Whether or not the stereo link will work, I'm not sure, but my guess is that it will work perfectly - I don't think the AE cares if it gets the iTunes info wirelessly or via the network cable.

However, as mentioned above, audio cables are vastly cheaper.

4. Bear macrumors G3

The AirPort Express has an option to play music (AirTunes) through the ethernet. It's in the Music tab in the AirPort admin utility.

5. SuperJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

My computer is at the other end of the house. My house is wired with Cat5 cable, so I have a wired network for all of my computers. There's a network jack by my stereo.

Thanks, Bear, I'll probably pick one up.

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell