Can all games run on a 30" apple display

Discussion in 'Games' started by wnameth, Feb 26, 2005.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

Nov 18, 2004
    I am wondering if there are some games that can't run on a 30" apple display, or if they would, would it still be wide screen? I was under the impression that not all games could run in wide screen, is this true? :confused:
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    All games can run on a 30'' display. Not all games (especially many older games) don't have widescreen resolutions. The "proper" function of the computer is to stretch the game if there is no widescreen resolution available. I've also seen games be letter boxed (is it still called letter boxed if the black bars are on the sides instead of the top?), but I believe that to be a bug, rather than normal function.
  3. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

Oct 19, 2004
    Searcy, AR

I dont believe that is a bug. When i run Call of Duty on a wide-screen 20" it "letterboxes" unless i select the wide-screen formats under the graphics section of options. It seems that this is done to prevent distortion of objects in the game when running in a non wide-screen setting.
  4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    also keep in mind that the 30" has pretty high requirements on the graphics card front. I notice your machine spec and your "need LCD screen comment."

You need a new powerbook or a G5 with an appropriate graphics card to use the 30"

But you probably know that.

Something to consider with a monitor of that size...If you are playing full screen games (not windowed games, in other words), then it will either have to run in the monitor's native resolution (which will only work for really old games, even on the fastest mac available today), or it will have to run "fuzzy" because the screen has to emulate a lower resolution. The results are usually bad when this happens. An otherwise beautiful 23 or 30" cinema display will suddenly be a washed-out, blurry, pixellated, ghosting mess.

it isn't pretty. If you can't run in a window, and you can't run in native monitor resolution, then you aren't going to have a particularly pleasing experience...even on the world's best LCD.