Can all scanners scan slides?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mdelaney123, Nov 8, 2004.

1. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2004
    Subject says it all... Scanner is Epson CX5400 all in one ... About a year old...

A friend asked me if I could scan his slides... I have no idea????
  2. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    why dont you go to the epson website and read up on your model? a slide is considered a transparency. if your model can scan in transparency mode then the answer is yes you can scan your friends slides.
  3. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    It doesn't look like it. That's a flatbed scanner (and all-in-one printer/copier). Most of them require transparency adapters to scan 35mm slides, which I don't even see available for that model. Plus, transparency adapters normally produce very lousy slide scans. You really want a dedicated slide scanner such as Nikon and Minolta make, sorry.
  4. musikman_ie macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    It used to be the case that the transparency adaptors for the scanners were inferior , for average use though things have improved

Epson make 2 scanners with this adapto included
    Epson Perfection 2580Photo and

Epson Perfection 4870 Photo ...this higher spec model offers digital ICE ( compensates for dust and scratches on the negative or tranparency ) this started off a high spec feature on NIKON fil scanner a few years back

Unless you are printing larger than A2 size or are doing a feature in National geographic it shouldl suffice