1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Can an AirPort Express Do This ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by siam, Jul 27, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

My neighbour has been trying out my 24 inch iMac and now wants to get a Mac of his own, he's been to the local Apple reseller and likes the small form look of the new Mac mini , one think he likes about my iMac is the ability to share its internet connection with other computers via its built in AirPort Extreme .

So he wanted to know if he buy's a new Mac mini what's the best way he could then share the new Mac mini's internet connection with other computers via Wi-Fi in his house .( his internet connection is the same as mine - CDMA USB Modem )

So we have looked at the AirPort Express ( 802.11n ) and from what we can see it looks like you have to use an Ethernet wired internet connection to feed the unit, on my iMac all I do is plug in my CDMA USB modem and then the iMac's AirPort Extreme broadcasts the Wi-Fi to my other Wi-Fi enabled computers .

We cannot see how you can use a USB modem with the AirPort Express unit

Are we missing some thing ?

My neighbour really wants to buy an Apple Product to enable him to share his internet connection connection from a new Mac mini via Wi-Fi to his other computer .

any comments or advice would be most welcome

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 65816

juanm

Just go into Preferences> Sharing> Click on Share Internet. Boom.

4. macrumors 601

talmy

Word of warning (doing this with any Mac) -- the built-in Wifi sharing uses the insecure WEP rather than WPA2, so shouldn't be left running for any length of time if you suspect your connection might be hijacked.

5. macrumors regular

Thanks for that ... Good point :eek: