1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Can an iMac be used as external monitor with a MBA?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacPat333, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Ok,

despite the fact that someone would run an iMac rather than an MBA with external monitor, I still would like to know if it is possible to run the iMac as external screen without actually using the hardware of the iMac itself.

Is there a "screen only" mode via TB?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68040

Yes, the 2011 and (most likely) the 2012 models can act as a display for another Mac over Thunderbolt. So as long as your MBA is a 2011 or newer model you can connect them with a Thunderbolt cable and it should work.

3. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

Yes. This may help: Use another Mac as a display

4. macrumors 68040

I have done this many times. My "work computer" is a MBA... and I have a 27" iMac at home. I would often connect my work computer to my iMac... using the iMac as only a screen. That combined with a wireless keyboard/mouse... I had a great 2560X1440 "work computer" while at home.

I've since purchased an ATD as my monitor which I use at home with my MBA. The ATD can also be connected to the iMac to create a dual headed workstation.

/Jim

5. macrumors regular

Great, thanks a lot.

6. macrumors member

Can this be done with a 2011 21.5'?? Just wondering if this is an option available only for the 27'...hmmm.

7. macrumors 6502a

It should work with any mac with a TB port.