Can anyone either veriify or refute this claim?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xsedrinam, Feb 13, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This thread [alleged issue] has been locked at Apple Discussions after some controversy, but it still is not resolved. If it's violating MR policy to ask further, I apologize in advance and understand if it's removed.
    X
    "<On 08:55am Feb 13, 2005, Don Neumark1 wrote:
    Subject: RE: Couldn't stand it any longer; new PB!

Won't you both be surprised to learn it [new AlPB 15"] has a beautiful design flaw. The onboard speakers produce only monaural sound, not the stereo you'vebeen accustomed to. Otherwise it's a great pb! Apple is working on a fix and they assure me it will be taken care of. If you don't have Applecare you might seriously consider it..... or at least register a complaint BEFORE your
    warranty runs out (and your 90 days of telephone support)>"

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

That is the definate first time i have heard of that. If it is true - wow. Honestly, i don't know how much difference that will make, considering the usage of those speakers are generally limited to traveling. (to weak to use any where else)

I would like to confirm that.

kyle

3. Bear macrumors G3

Maybe one person had a flawed system. The ones I've heard appear to do stereo sound just fine.

Or maybe someone is posting false information?

4. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That was my concern, too. The poster was continually asked to supply more documentation and/or other threads of new 15" PB owners who had the same complaint. There were a dribbling of [come to think of it, me too] posters, but nothing documented which satisfied veteran posters in the thread. When it got heated, apparently, the thread go locked up. But there's still no definitive response one way or the other. I got my AlPB 15" in Oct. '04 and the sound is fine.
    X

5. Bear macrumors G3

Okay, you didn't think the claim was true. You are not currently in the market for a new machine. Your system works fine.

\So, why did you start a thread here?

In any case, the best way to check something like that is to go into a store that ha sthe new systems and listen to the sound yourself.

6. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I want to know if this reported problem with new 15" machines has a wider scope. Since it has to do with Hardware Discussion, it seems sensible to post my question in threads having to do with Hardware Discussion.
    X

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It wouldn't matter too much anyway. I have a AlPB 12" and indeed the speakers are stereo but it is extremely difficult to hear the separation sitting a few feet from the monitor. The only way you could hear separation is if your head is two inches from the keyboard and LCD. That's just how it works.

8. donniedarko macrumors regular

I agree, how can you discern the stereo. The speakers are to close to identify seperation. You could always play with the balance, maybe that would help to indicate something, just a thought.

9. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Guess what? It's totally true. Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=109626&highlight=powerbook+speaker

This is probably due to the asymmetrical speaker layout on the AlBooks. The left speaker is further away from the display than the right. Also, you'll notice the third speaker (the "midrange") is much closer to the left speaker, making the audio sound stronger on the left side. Take a look for yourself: http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54/images_large/28.jpg

By the way, in case you're wondering, I LOVE my PowerBook. The audio is annoying, especially since the line is geared toward the creative professionals. But the overall quality of the machine makes this a minor annoyance.

10. panphage macrumors 6502

Nothing there says monorial sound. That thread discusses that the PBs actually have THREE speakers, making the balance seem louder on the left. If the left side is loude it's badly balanced STEREO sound. But there definitely appears to be a design hurdle there. From all the notebook speakers I've heard, I'd invest in a good set of headphones or some standalone speakers if I wanted decent sound out of a portable.

EDIT: And there of course you've edited so I appear to be chastising you for agreeing with me! :p